WWII Quiz

The German weather station in Labrador, Canada 1943

Thus the station was a secret known only by a handful German seamen and scientists. The story became known in the late 1970s, when an engineer named Franz Selinger after his retirement from Siemens decided to write a history of the German weather service. Among Dr. Sommermeyer's papers he found photographs of one weather station and a U-boat that did not fit in with the eastern Arctic installations he had previously been able to identify (Greenland and Svalbard). He identified the Labrador coast, but neither Canadian nor American authorities could provide evidence. Via Jürgen Rohwer and the son of Dr. Sommermeyer he then identified the U-537 and located the logbook at the archives in Freiburg.

In 1980 he wrote to the official historian of the Canadian armed forces, W.A.B. Douglas. Douglas and the Canadian Coast Guards were able to go and look and actually found the remains of the weather station. Some parts were missing, but the canisters, tripod and mast, and some dry-cell batteries was left to identify.

Cheers
Kristina :cheers:

This one is very easy... Arguably, the last unit to surrender is a forgotten 11-man unit that was stationed in the Arctic. It was a small outpost, and the 11 men were part of the top secret Operation Haudegen. They were fending off polar bears and was eating canned rations.... They surrendered to a bemused Norweigen captain in September 4, 1945. Is this right?

Now if they radioed the information back then these messages would have been picked up by the allies. Now they may have missed to odd message but every day for years. A part of the fight against the U Boats was to pick up the radio transmissions and the fix their positions. So they must have laid a telephone line from Canada to Berlin. Did I mention that I have fairies at the bottom of my garden

Hmm you should do something about the fairies because if they are as real as Operation Haudegen then you will make a fortune.

The account of the Haudegen base isn't quite right. contact wasn't lost at the end of the war. The weather station and communcations base at Tromsø kept in touch with them. The reason they weren't picked up until September was simply because there were other priorities and it wasn't until then that a ship could go and pick them up.

This one is very easy... Arguably, the last unit to surrender is a forgotten 11-man unit that was stationed in the Arctic. It was a small outpost, and the 11 men were part of the top secret Operation Haudegen. They were fending off polar bears and was eating canned rations.... They surrendered to a bemused Norweigen captain in September 4, 1945. Is this right?

Sorry it took some time to answer but my internet connection has been down for two days :(

Korean Seaboy you are spot on

Your turn!

Cheers
Kristina :cheers:

HHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMM.......... I'm thinking.......
Well, who was the center of the plot to kill Hitler besides the famous Bomb Plot? It's a different plot and was formed during the Phony War.
(Hint: This person began carrying pistols to meeting with Hitler, but couldn't bring himself to shoot an unarmed man. This plot was never put into place)

Nope...
I'm sorry that the question is too vague... There were a lot of plots to kill Hitler, yet I just saw this in a book I have an wanted to put up a question based on it..

HHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMM.......... I'm thinking.......
Well, who was the center of the plot to kill Hitler besides the famous Bomb Plot? It's a different plot and was formed during the Phony War.
(Hint: This person began carrying pistols to meeting with Hitler, but couldn't bring himself to shoot an unarmed man. This plot was never put into place)

Colonel Henning von Tresckow?

I know he had a similar plan but he planned to implement it much later than the phony war.

Could have been many

I agree with the earlier statement that the question is too vague. I've gone through my books and found numerous plots (but no key figure with the last name beginning with "H").

I agree with the earlier statement that the question is too vague. I've gone through my books and found numerous plots (but no key figure with the last name beginning with "H").

I know the plot he is talking about as I think I read it in either Antony Beevor's Berlin the Downfall or Erich von Mansteins Lost Victories but for the life of me I can not find the name which is why I went with von Tresckow as he was part of a conspiracy to kill Hitler that had the same idea and the same reason for abandoning it.

The below is a list of known assassination plots & attempts directed against Adolf Hitler, both before and during his time as leader of Germany, some were no more than ideas but serious attempts were made as well, the best known being the one on 20 July 1944.

July 1921 Munich ? (shots fired at Hitler during a rally at the Hofbräuhaus)

1923 Leipzig ? (shots fired at his car)

15 Mar 1932 Munich-Weimar ? (shots fired at the train car Hitler, Joseph Goebbels & Dr. Wilhelm Frick was in)

June 1932 Stralsund ? (ambush on a road near Stralsund)

30 July 1932 Nuremberg ?

4 Mar 1933 Kurt Luttner (arrested 3 Mar for planning to kill Hitler with a bomb at a rally in Köningsberg 4 Mar)

1933-34 ? At least 10 attempts or plots came to the attention of the authorities, no additional details known

1933 Obersalzberg ? (a man in a SA-leaders uniform is arrested and a gun is found on him)

1934 ? Ernst Röhm & Julius Uhl (most likely only alleged)

1936 Helmut Hirsch (Hirsch, a Jewish student, confessed to having been sent by Otto Strasser to kill Hitler with a bomb)

1937-38 ? Émigré groups mainly in Czechoslovakia, but also in Switzerland & Great Britain, plotted to kill Hitler, but nothing came of it

Nov 1937 Josef Thomas (Thomas, a mentally ill man from Elberfeld was arrested by the Gestapo 26 Nov 1937, he had travelled to Berlin to shoot Hitler and Hermann Göring)

Apr 1938 Alexander Foote (Foote, an Englishman working as a spy for the USSR investigated the possibilities of assassinating Hitler, succeeding to get close to him in his favourite restaurant, Osteria Bavaria, without any problem)

1938 F.W. Heinz (plans were made to arrest Hitler during the Sudetenland crisis and Heinz, who were to lead those responsible for the arrest, decided to kill him instead. The crisis was solved politically.)

1938 Maurice Bavaud (Bavaud, a Swiss theology student, made several attempts to shoot Hitler, but failed and was arrested when trying to leave the country by train without a valid ticket)

1938-39 Colonel Noel Mason-MacFarlane (Mason-MacFarlane, the Britsh Military Attaché, investigated the possibilities of assassinating Hitler, but his ideas were rejected in London)

8 Nov 1939 Georg Elser (Elser planted a bomb in the Bürgerbräukeller. Hitler left 21:07 and the bomb went off 21:20, killing eight people)

11 Nov 1939 Dr Erich Kordt (Kordt, head of Joachim von Ribbentrop's personal secretariat, planned to kill Hitler the day before the planned offensive against France)

1939 Generaloberst Franz Halder (Halder, Chief of the General Staff, repeatedly went to see Hitler with a loaded gun planning to shoot him)

July 1940 Oberleutnant d. R. Fritz-Dietlof Graf von der Schulenburg, Dr Eugen Gerstenmaier (they planned to kill Hitler during the planned victory parade in Paris)

1943 General der Gebirgstruppen Hubert Lanz, Generalmajor Dr Hans Speidel, Oberst Hyazinth Graf Strachwitz (they planned to arrest Hitler when he can to visit the troops near Poltawa)

Mar 1943 Major Friedrich König (König planned to shoot Hitler during his visit to Smolensk)

Mar 1943 Generalmajor Henning von Tresckow, Leutnant Fabian von Schlabrendorff, Oberst Rudolf-Christoph Freiherr von Gersdorff (they placed a bomb on Hitlers aircraft, a Focke-Wulf 200 Condor, but it failed to explode)

13 Mar 1943 Oberst Rudolf-Christoph Freiherr von Gersdorff (attempted to kill Hitler with a bomb during an exhibition of captured Soviet equipment at the Berlin Zeughaus)

Dec 1943 Hauptmann Axel Freiherr von dem Busche-Streithorst (planned to kill Hitler with a bomb, but the show was postponed)

1944 Ewald von Kleist (planned to kill Hitler with a bomb, but the show was postponed)

11 Mar 1944 Hauptmann Eberhard von Breitenbuch (planned to shoot Hitler, but could not get access to him)

6 July 1944 Oberst Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg (brought a bomb to Obersalzberg)

11 July 1944 Oberst Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg (brought a bomb to Obersalzberg, but as Hermann Göring and Heinrich Himmler was not present, it was not used)

20 July 1944 Oberst Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg (placed a bomb in the situation room, killing four people, but only wounding Hitler)

1945 Albert Speer (planned to kill Hitler using gas)

Back