WWII Quiz

Can any one name the British rifle used for training British troops during the early days of WW2 that could not fire a bullet, yet as training aid you could learn so much about how you fired a rifle and how good a shot you were.

Here is a question from WW1 and it mainly affects the British contingent on here.

Can any one tell me what Civilian group where given the honour to march past the Cenotaph on Remembrance day with the regular troops. This honour was given to this group by George V1 and they have march past with the Regulars every year from the time it started.
Now the question is who and why they got this honour

Here is a question from WW1 and it mainly affects the British contingent on here.

Can any one tell me what Civilian group where given the honour to march past the Cenotaph on Remembrance day with the regular troops. This honour was given to this group by George V1 and they have march past with the Regulars every year from the time it started.
Now the question is who and why they got this honour

The only "non-uniformed" branch I can think of that takes part in this is the Fishing Fleet but other than their losses during WW1 to U boats/surface raiders and the necessity of maintaining a food supply I can't think of a reason for them to be there.

But I am also a little confused as George V was king during WW1 and VI during WW2 so I assume these people allowed to march under George V unofficially?

Last edited:
No it is not the fishing fleet, and the group I am talking about have always been paraded down Whitehall and were the last line in the parade until the last few years when the Labour Government opened up the parade to other people. This group has marched down Whitehall from the time of the first parade and spent all their time on the Western Front. After WW1 the King personally presented their medals to them as they had done such a good job. I will post the answer on Saturday.

I'm going to say the St Johns Ambulance, can't give a reason why, but I seem to remember having the opportunity to go the Remembrance Day Parade when I was a callow youth.

The Civilian Group are London Bus Drivers, when WW1 started the War Office found that it had little or no motor transport and they need a lot of it fast. Well some clever person was looking out of their office window and watched all the buses trundling up and down Whitehall so they Commandeered a thousand of them. Now driving them them was a bit of a skill in those days so they asked if the drivers would go with them to France which they did with out question and they spent the next four years moving the troops all over the place. There are many pictures of these buses running around the front in their London Livery which brought a load of laughter from the troops so far from home.
As they had spent four years on the front lines with out break the king awarded them the right to march past the Cenotaph with the troops.

oldbill1.png

Last edited:
Well I am guessing this thread is open for questions so I will try an easy but odd question...

What is the relationship of this video to WW2 and what is wrong with it.

The Video Question

All I can remember it was a propaganda movie made in 1945 of the successful defence of the sieged fortress town of Kolberg against French troops between April and July 1807.

Last edited:
All I can remember it was a propaganda movie made in 1945 of the successful defence of the sieged fortress town of Kolberg against French troops between April and July 1807.

Well you have the movie and location but what is its link to WW2 other than the date of manufacture and what is wrong with the movie.

Wrong: The uniforms in conjunction with the text? Prussian and French mix?

Rattler

Last edited:
Wrong: The uniform (french) in conjunction with the text (german WWII original speech)?

Rattler

Again true but my question is purely WW2 based, I will even accept the answer that it was a Nazi propaganda movie shot between 1943 and 1945 but there is something wrong/overlooked in the movie to make it different from the actual event which is why I chose it as the question rather than the other big propaganda movie "Frederich der Grosse" of the time.

sorry, you lost me there :rockin:, but I am sure going to go "Ahhhh! Of Cause!" :bang: once you enlighten us mere mortals :wink:

Rattler

Back