WWII Quiz - Page 92

--

July 13th, 2006  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
Monty, I do believe it is your turn...
Umm I have already posted a question albeit a really easy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Ok something easy:
Elements of what German division were responsible for the occupation of the channel islands.
I guess it was probably lost in the picture hunt.

July 14th, 2006  
Dean

It was indeed lost. Oh, and I still can't find it.

(the answer)

Dean.
July 15th, 2006  
MontyB

Weird I actually thought this was a fairly easy question but now that I do a google search it may not have been that easy, if you like I can post the answer before things stagnate.
--
July 15th, 2006  
perseus

According to

http://www.kg6gb.org/channel_islands_occupation_2.htm

"The first occupying forces were from the 216th Infantry Division"

I wonder if the Channel islands occupation offers an insight into how an occupation of Great Britain would have been like, or were the occupiers deliberately playing it easy in the hope that the rest of the country would be more willing to surrender.
July 15th, 2006  
MontyB

Indeed it was I would have pretty much been happy with either the 216th or 319th infantry division.

The German occupation seemed like an odd one but my personal belief is that it was just one of those isolated postings where its easier not to rock the boat. Lets face it the islands seemed to be home to some odd folks especially Sark.
July 15th, 2006  
Reiben

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Indeed it was I would have pretty much been happy with either the 216th or 319th infantry division.

The German occupation seemed like an odd one but my personal belief is that it was just one of those isolated postings where its easier not to rock the boat. Lets face it the islands seemed to be home to some odd folks especially Sark.
I am sure a post to the Channel Islands was more welcome than the Eastern Front!

Now the World Cup is over can we keep the thread moving please....

Next question?
July 15th, 2006  
perseus

The first 'halt' command on the 22nd May 1940 which probably stopped the German panzers from taking Dunkirk and preventing the British evacuation was influenced by what recent event and whose exaggerated claims?
July 15th, 2006  
Reiben

The BEF counter attack at Arras?

It shook the German confidence.
July 15th, 2006  
perseus

Yes Reiben

and whose exaggerated claims of the events at Arras influenced this?
July 15th, 2006  
Reiben

Rommel?