WWII Quiz

SORRY I SHOULD NOT HAVE POSTED HERE, I NOW REALISE. I HAVE MESSEDUP YOUR QUIZ THREAD. MY APOLOGIES- WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN. NEW BOY HERE.

That is a good point from Hermann - has it been checked out?

The question is - what if you ARE under attack. what if you are being struck. Do you pretend it isn't happenning. Do you let them tell you, you are paranoid. What when the evidence is before your eyes.

nevertheless - nice one.

QUESTION - easy for you experts.

Who was entertained at scapa on The HOOD before she was lost so quickly and unfortunately?

Last edited:
Normally you need to answer a question to provide one, but these are so far and few between, I would welcome another questioner. If it's OK with you Tom Tom shall we stick with Del boy's question?

Thanks for your courtesy Perseus, but I fear it should be deleted on two counts, one being that i should not have posted and two because it is too easy for you. Either way, enjoy. As for me, i will follow the thread to see if can ever get in there with an answer.

QUESTION - easy for you experts.

Who was entertained at scapa on The HOOD before she was lost so quickly and unfortunately?

At the moment I am having trouble with this question as the answer doesn't appear in the ships logs so perhaps not as easy as you may think.
So far I have a visit from King George and then a later one from Admiral Tovey but they appear to be in the months before she was sunk not the preceding few days.

As far as who's turn it is to ask a question I don't have a problem with leaving this question up here to answer and simply letting tomtom ask one at his leisure I am sure we can handle two questions at once.

:)

Last edited:
Thanks Monty B. However, I did not register a time frame because without checking i am not exactly sure of the time scale, so that is not critical to my question. I will nevertheless produce the time scale anyway. So fire away. A blank so far.

Last edited:
Right - when I spoke of The Hood going so quickly I was referring to how it went down through that unfortunate hit.

The visit I refer to was before it was sunk but not immediately before.
The date was much earlier than you are considering but the visit was significant.

Last edited:
OK guys - it was Winston Churchill, as 1st Sea Lord, and on the occasion he looked across Scapa and said, those dummy ships ships must have food slops scattered all around them to attract the birds, or the Lutwaffe will spot that they are dummies. He never missed a thing. I will find the date and put it up.

Sorry for the interuption, carry on.

Del boy

If no-one answers the question you get another go.

I would like to see the source to the last question though, have you got a link?

Del boy

If no-one answers the question you get another go.

I would like to see the source to the last question though, have you got a link?

This might help.

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]528. Dummy battleships had been placed in Scapa Flow harbor to deceive German aircraft. What fault did Churchill notice about this deception when he visited Scapa in 1940? Since there were no seagulls flying around the dummy ships, Churchill said they wouldn't fool the Germans, and that food would be thrown around to attract gulls.

[/FONT] http://www.winstonchurchill.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=397

Thanks for that link Mony B. i wasn't aware of that site and had never seen the question before.

i created the question with date from the book Scapa Flow and the story from a recent documentary with the scene looking out from the deck of the Hood.

OK guys, I'll pass on a second question. I'll return when I have gathered myself up to deal with it properly. Thank you kindly. All you rascals are experts. Its like playing poker in Las Vegas.

I'll ask a question if no-one objects.

Q: A famous spoof "Wanted!" poster on Adolf Hitler was published in a newspaper during war-time. Which newspaper did it appear in, on which date was it published and who wrote the column?

Hilter-Wanted.jpg

Newspaper - The Daily Mirror
Date - September 4th 1939
Written By: - Sir William Connor (not sure about this)

I think.

Last edited:
That's the one MontyB, although Sir William Connor was writing under his pen name of 'Cassandra'.

Didn't take you as long as I thought. :p

Your shot..

The article wasn't a 'spoof' as much as a statement. Cassandra was my favourite political and social correspondent. The entry is important because it establishes that Britain was onto Hitler's murderous regime before the outbreak of hostilities.

The article wasn't a 'spoof' as much as a statement. Cassandra was my favourite political and social correspondent. The entry is important because it establishes that Britain was onto Hitler's murderous regime before the outbreak of hostilities.

Interesting as Connor was considered to be a left wing journalist at the time.

Anyway onto a question:
In January 1945 Germany began an operation that continued until May 8th 1945 what was this operations name.

(this is a very easy question hence the lack of detail in the question).

very quickly - indeed he was MontyB. he had a great career with The Daily Mirror, the top left daily, always taken in my Dad's house.

Back to question.

You are indeed correct.

It was a phenomenal achievement given the conditions they managed it under.

Yes it was, but completely unnecessary if Hitler had listened to Guderian and evacuated the Courland area when it was sensible to do so. This would have allowed a timely withdrawal of all German forces as they gave ground to the Red Army.

Guess it's time for another question from me. Let me have a think about one.

Back