WWII Quiz

Yes Paris is the information I have, just beats London to this dubious record by about 6 hours, although the some of the sites were in Belgium. It looks like they had a lot of problems with Misfires. Your turn mmarsh.

Interestingly Von Braun himself was almost a casualty on the receiving end of one during testing, since he wanted to observe the impact point and incoming rocket trails. It dropped near enough to blow him of the ground. How would the space race have developed if it exploded a few tens of metres nearer him?

http://www.v2rocket.com/start/deployment/timeline.html

Sept. 02, - Battery 444 traveled to Euskirchen with orders to proceed south to attack Paris.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-2]Sunday[/SIZE]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Sept. 03, - Batt. 485 moves into Den Haag (The Hague) to set up operations. The influential suburb of Wassenaar is chosen as the first location. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-2]Wednesday[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Sept. 06, (09.00 hours) - Battery 444, St. Vith, 18 km southeast of Malmedy (Belgium), misfire.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Sept. 06, (09.40 hours) - Battery 444, St. Vith, 18 km southeast of Malmedy (Belgium), misfire.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1](Both rockets came up to full power, lifted a few feet and then set back down on firing table, still vertical, when engines cut off. The intended target for each rocket was Paris. Battery 444 also suffered its first combat losses this same day when the unit was attacked by partisans.)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-2]Thursday[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Sept. 07 - Battery 444 moves to a new site (17 miles southeast of former site) near Houffalize (Belgium). It was a place between Baraque de Fraiture et Houffalize, in an area (verry little village, only a few houses) called Petites Tailles. This is abaout 3 km south of Barraque de Fraiture.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-2]Friday[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Sept. 08, (08.40 hours) - Battery 444, near Houffalize, Belgium, A-4 rocket fired, (impact unknown), target Paris, indications are that the rocket exploded at high altitude.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Sept. 08, (11.00 hours) - Battery 444, near Houffalize, Belgium, A-4 rocket fired, impacted in "Charentonneau" à Maisons-Alfort in south-east of Paris, France. Six people were killed and there 36 injured.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Sept. 08, (18.35 hours) - Batt. 2./485, Wassenaar, crossroads of Lijsterlaan / Konijnenlaan / Koekoekslaan, A-4 rocket fired impacted Stavely Road, Chiswick - London, England.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[/FONT]

Last edited:
That confirms what I read, the last rocket was successful although not to nit-pick Maisons-Alfort isn't in Paris. Its a small town in the suburbs about 10 KM away.

So "technically", Antwerp is correct. -Yes I am being an arrogant snob (sorry).

Anyway, I guess that means I am up.

Although a effective Commander, this US General commanded a famous US infantry Division in the Italian Campaign until he was relieved by Eisenhower (at Patton's urging) for poor discipline.[SIZE=+1] He was later assigned to another well known division that participated heavily in Operation Market Garden.

Who was he?
[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Good answer, but incorrect. Keep trying...

UPDATE

Time to give a clue.

In 1943, this General was the Commander of the BIG RED ONE and he was relieved with his friend (also by Patton, for the same offense) Theodore Roosevelt (who later became the commander of the BIG RED ONE).

Last edited:
Good answer, but incorrect. Keep trying...

UPDATE

Time to give a clue.

In 1943, this General was the Commander of the BIG RED ONE and he was relieved with his friend (also by Patton, for the same offense) Theodore Roosevelt (who later became the commander of the BIG RED ONE).

Damn I forgot all about this thread, I went off to find an answer about 4 weeks ago and never came back.

How about Major General Terry de la Mesa Allen?

YES! That is correct. Well Done.

Hehe ok I been thinking about this a bit and decided on something slightly different:

What is the significance of the 'G' on the front of this vehicle.

:)

panzer3.jpg

Is this a model number of a Panzer IV (Ausf. G) ?

Nope, the 'G" is there to signify something but nothing to do with the mechanic's of the vehicle.

Incidently the picture is of a Panzer IV Ausf D

:)

The 'G' I am referring to is the white one painted on the right front guard (bottom left of picture itself) of the tank and it was painted there for a reason ie many others carried the same marking. (just in case my original question was a bit vague).

Last edited:
Incidently the picture is of a Panzer IV Ausf D

This explains the short Gun. This didn't seem to fit since I think the type G were fitted with longer barrels

Is it anything to to with Panzergruppe Guderian?

This explains the short Gun. This didn't seem to fit since I think the type G were fitted with longer barrels

Is it anything to to with Panzergruppe Guderian?

Yes it is.

After reaching the English Channel, the Panzergruppe Guderian was created and thrusted deep into France, cutting off the giant Maginot Line. Since that time, every unit that served in the Panzergruppe Guderian wore a large 'G' on every tank, truck or motorcycle.

I had expected Doppleganger to be the one that got this. :p

Quite easy after being given the clue, so perhaps I don't deserve the question. Does anyone else want a go? I will leave the forum open since I can't think of a good question at the moment.

I'll go again, I have a Good one.

In WWII there were only 2 Battleships that were sunk by submarines. Name them both. (You need both, otherwise its too easy).

Bonus Points -name the subs that sank them.

Last edited:
BARHAM(Capt Cooke), 25th November 1941, Eastern Mediterranean, N of Sidi Barrani (c 32-30'N, 26-30'E) - by 3 torpedoes from German U-331. Sailing with Mediterranean Fleet from Alexandria to cover sorties by Malta and Alexandria-based cruiser forces against Italian convoys heading for Libya. Turned over and exploded with 861 men lost and 450 survivors. (North African Campaign)
ROYAL OAK(Capt W H Benn+), 14th October 1939, Western Europe at Scapa Flow, Orkney Islands, north of Scotland - by 3 torpedoes from German U-47. Detached from Home Fleet to guard Fair Isle passage during sortie of German battlecruiser 'Gneisenau'. Afterwards at anchor in the NE corner of Scapa Flow, one mile offshore when torpedoed with 833 men dead. She still lies at the bottom of Scapa Flow as a War Grave (Home Fleet Operations)
source: http://www.naval-history.net/WW2RN24-BritishShipsBattleships.htm#barh

Last edited:
You may wish to include the Kongo as a Battleship rather than a Battle Cruiser

The Kongô was finally sunk on 21 November 1944 by the submarine Sealion, SS-315, in the waters off Taiwan
http://www.friesian.com/kongo.htm

This also excludes the Midget Submarines which helped to ground the Turpitz!

BARHAM(Capt Cooke), 25th November 1941, Eastern Mediterranean, N of Sidi Barrani (c 32-30'N, 26-30'E) - by 3 torpedoes from German U-331. Sailing with Mediterranean Fleet from Alexandria to cover sorties by Malta and Alexandria-based cruiser forces against Italian convoys heading for Libya. Turned over and exploded with 861 men lost and 450 survivors. (North African Campaign)
ROYAL OAK(Capt W H Benn+), 14th October 1939, Western Europe at Scapa Flow, Orkney Islands, north of Scotland - by 3 torpedoes from German U-47. Detached from Home Fleet to guard Fair Isle passage during sortie of German battlecruiser 'Gneisenau'. Afterwards at anchor in the NE corner of Scapa Flow, one mile offshore when torpedoed with 833 men dead. She still lies at the bottom of Scapa Flow as a War Grave (Home Fleet Operations)
source: http://www.naval-history.net/WW2RN24-BritishShipsBattleships.htm#barh

Thats a very good answer and I admit I didn't consider the HMS Royal Oak. I am going to disallow it because although the Royal Oak was laid down as battleship in 1914 it was redesignated a BattleCruiser in the 1930's because its armor didn't measure up to modern RN Battleship standard. The fact it was sunk by a single torpedo underlines its non-battleship armor.

The Kongo was the correct answer I wanted, but she is the opposite of the Royal Oak. She was laid down as a Battlecruiser but upgraded and modernized to a Battleship during the 30's.

So both of you get an answer right...

Last edited:
Back