WWII Quiz

The Japanese strategy before the battle began was that of "no Japanese survivors." They almost carried the strategy out fully - of the 22,000 Japanese soldiers in the Iwo Jima garrison, only 200 were taken as prisoners - the other 21,800 were killed in defense of the island.
source: http://www.iwebtrain.com/iwojoe.htm

This is a two part question.
In May 1943, at the Trident Conference, the Allies hammered out European strategy but also decided to begin a central Pacific campaign. Boldly the Allies chose to mount two simultaneous advances in the Pacific. One operation in the southwest Pacific would move northwest from Guadalcanal up the Solomon Island chain thrusting toward the Japanese bastion of Rabaul. The other operation in the central Pacific under the command of ADM Chester Nimitz targeted the capture of the Gilbert Islands.
What were the names of the two operations?

I may be off target here but what the hell.

Operations Flintlock and Cartwheel?

Although I have a feeling that Flintlock was the Marshall Islands.

I may be off target here but what the hell.

Operations Flintlock and Cartwheel?

Although I have a feeling that Flintlock was the Marshall Islands.

Flintlock is wrong.
You have one of the names but, you haven't linked it to either of the operations. Which one was Cartwheel connected to?

Stalemate is wrong.
You have one of the names but, you haven't linked it to either of the operations. Which one was Cartwheel connected to?

I think Cartwheel was the SW Pacific operation. The central Pacific one was called Orange, but this was really a revival of a defunct pre war plan based on holding out in the Philippines.

Perseus, you are right on Cartwheel but Orange is wrong.

Wow, I thought this one would be easy.

Ok well I think the problem is that no one can find a single operational name to cover the entire central pacific campaign but there are about 11+ sub operations.

So with that in mind I will go with:
Central Pacific (Gilbert Islands etc.)- Operation Galvanic
South West Pacific (Soloman Islands etc.)- Operation Cartwheel

Back