WWII Quiz

Hehehehehe...

I worded the question in such a way that internet searches are virtually useless, and I guess it worked. There were 4 tough nuts to crack, and I will accept any2 of those 4. Here are some clues:

One of them was a fortress that had been there for a vary long time before the war.
The other 2 were built to defend Berlin during the war. During the final battle they were rarely used in the way they were supposed to.
The last one was never a fortress. It was the way it was defended that made it a difficult target.

Dean.

Hehehehehe...

I worded the question in such a way that internet searches are virtually useless, and I guess it worked. There were 4 tough nuts to crack, and I will accept any2 of those 4. Here are some clues:

One of them was a fortress that had been there for a vary long time before the war.
The other 2 were built to defend Berlin during the war. During the final battle they were rarely used in the way they were supposed to.
The last one was never a fortress. It was the way it was defended that made it a difficult target.

Dean.

Well I was heading down the flak towers, underground and debris from battle damage (air/ground) path. Guess I will go back to thinking again. :)

The flak towers are correct. They were the answer to the second part of the clues, and the Russians only took them after negotiating their surrender. The third also fell to the Russians after a negotiated surrender, and the fourth was stormed and taken with very heavy casualties. They were the Spandau Citadel, and the fourth was the Reichstag itself. As there were very few guesses and in the interests of moving things along, I now, once again say, go for it, Monty

Dean.

The flak towers are correct. They were the answer to the second part of the clues, and the Russians only took them after negotiating their surrender. The third also fell to the Russians after a negotiated surrender, and the fourth was stormed and taken with very heavy casualties. They were the Spandau Citadel, and the fourth was the Reichstag itself. As there were very few guesses and in the interests of moving things along, I now, once again say, go for it, Monty

Dean.

Ummm oook, my previous post wasnt actually an answer though it was more "thinking out loud" before I prepared an answer.

The Flak towers were an easy option however I was heading down the path where damage to buildings from ground and air was creating defensive positions (as in the case with the Reichstag and oddly enough Monte Cassino) but anyway I am not really sure I answered the question so it may be fairer t open it to anyone with a question.

It was a mistake, the bomb was originally meant to be dropped on German shipping but failed to release, it then fell off over German soil on the way back from the mission.

On 27 August 1943, the sloop HMS Egret received the dubious honour of being the first ship ever sunk by a guided missile

Last edited:
Sorry, guys, I've been away for a bit. Anyhow, here's a true trivia question for you all. When did the Wehrmacht start using the Nazi salute, and why?

Dean.

The wehrmacht was ordered to replace the standard military salute with the Hitler salute on the 23rd of July 1944.
Why?
Well to be honest I am not really sure, my understanding was that as a result of of the July 20 assassination attempt it was decided that all officers were to be members of the Nazi party as a way of ensuring their loyalty (unfortunately I am unable verify this and cannot find anything else).

Last edited:
You are right. It was Hitler's way of suborning the army to the party leadership. He must have thought that if all soldiers used the party salute, then they must be loyal. it probably did work out that way, as the Nazi salute was a very powerful symbol, and I am sure that its significance was not lost on anyone. At any rate, on to you once again, Monty.

Dean.

Ok I will go with something quick and simple...
On what date was the first Japanese merchant ship sunk by a US submarine.

Back