WWII Quiz

Ok heres a really easy question:

What was unusual about Germany's declaration of war on the USA.
It wasn't a declaration of war as such.
The letter to the US government stated that due to USA's actions to help nations at war with Germany, militarily and economically, over the past months, Germany had no option but to consider itself already at war with the USA

So far I've found 1, Frances Gabreski. Working on it.

Ok, 1. I have officially given up.

(dammit!!!)

Last edited:
So far I've found 1, Frances Gabreski. Working on it.

Hehe thats about as far as I got but then didnt he fight as part of the tiger squadrons?

I cant find any Polish squadrons with the RAF based in the pacific either.

It's a bit of a trick question. You couldn't find any Polish squadrons based in the PTO because they didn't exist. Only one man who saw action with the Polish Airforce went on to fight in the Pacific. This man's name was Witold Urbanowicz and he has quite a story. He flew with the Polish airforce during the invasion of Poland, was captured by the Soviets, escaped to France and joined up with the RAF to go on to fight in the Battle of Britain. And in September of '43, he joined up with the US Army Air Corps to go fly combat missions in China against the Japs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witold_Urbanowicz

The floor is open to anyone who wants to ask a question.

Doppleganger

It's not the answer I was looking for, but then I was taking London as a whole to be a city. If you can show there were more V1s and V2 dropped per area than the answer I have in mind, then you may have the question, but I doubt if that is the case.

Doppleganger

It's not the answer I was looking for, but then I was taking London as a whole to be a city. If you can show there were more V1s and V2 dropped per area than the answer I have in mind, then you may have the question, but I doubt if that is the case.

Well I was using colloquialism when I described London as a 'town' but my second guess would be Antwerp.

Well certainly in terms of deaths per unit area Antwerp suffered more than the entire of London although I expect Antwerp was crowded due to allied movements. Perhaps I should have been clearer.

Antwerp 204.51 square km
3,752 civilians and 731 Allied soldiers killed due to V1s and V2 combined

Entire of London 1579 square km
6,184 killed due to V1s 2,754 killed due to V2s

Either way your question Doppleganger

It was Marshal Mikhail N. Tukhachevsky, and he was shot on orders from Stalin. However, one could also argue that Victor K. Triandafillov was as responsible for developing the tactics that led to the development of the armoured division.

Last edited:
Back