WWII Quiz

Ok an easy one.

Many of you will be familiar with the German Panzerkampfwagen VII 'Maus' prototype tank. Weighing in at a swelte 188 tonnes it was the heaviest tank ever built.

However, there were 2 even larger prototypes planned by Germany. What were they called and what were their weights?

I would not call the first one a tank, but there was the Panzerkampfwagen Bar at 120 tons, and the Panzerkampfwagen Lowe, at a mere 90 tons.
I also found a reference to the Panzerkampfwagen E-100, which weighed in at 140 tons.

These were the more serious designs. In the "pure fantasy" category, there was the P-1000, which was supposed to weigh in at 1000 tons. However, later estimates would have put the actual weight closer to 2000 tons. It was supposed to have Graf Spee turrets with the centre gun removed.... hmmmm....!

Then, there was the P-1500 Monster, a 1500 ton, 800 mm self propelled gun. These are the fantasies that occur when non-military idjits end up taking over countries and are allowed to realize their military fantasies....

Dean

Last edited:
That was Hitler for you. He was obssessed by the gigantic. Luckily Albert Speer and Heinz Guderian quietly cancelled development of all those silly designs before they could suck up too much of Germany's ever shrinking resources.

Here is one that is right up Boris 116's alley. While there were many reasons that the Russians truly hated the Germans, one particular event polarized Russian opinion like no other. It involved a young woman. Who was she, and what was the story?

Dean.

... her name was Zoya Kosmodemyanskaya. Very good, Doppleganger, it was indeed. I did ask for the story though, as it did polarize resistance in many areas of Russia. Due to the fact that I do not feel like typing it, I will simply leave you the link.

http://newsfromrussia.com/main/2002/11/26/39979.html

I do wonder, however, if the case would have had such an effect if those photos had never been published...

Dean.

... her name was Zoya Kosmodemyanskaya. Very good, Doppleganger, it was indeed. I did ask for the story though, as it did polarize resistance in many areas of Russia. Due to the fact that I do not feel like typing it, I will simply leave you the link.

http://newsfromrussia.com/main/2002/11/26/39979.html

I do wonder, however, if the case would have had such an effect if those photos had never been published...

Dean.

Dean,

I would agree with you that her life and death have become a very polarazing issue, but quite recently...

When we grew up her name as well as name of her brother were very popular and we had to know her story by heart. No controversy was allowed.
However, after the fall of USSR, it become known that she was a part of Special Forces that were burning the Russian villages to refuse shelter to the German troops(notoriously non-prepared for the winter).
The first victims of that activity were the Russian farmers. They, allegedly, have found these young people, including Zoya, and turned them over to the Germans.
So, the controversy here, in my opinion, lies in the question: where is the border between the resistance and suicide? Are there any rules that shouldn't be disregarded in any situation?

Dean,

I would agree with you that her life and death have become a very polarazing issue, but quite recently...

When we grew up her name as well as name of her brother were very popular and we had to know her story by heart. No controversy was allowed.
However, after the fall of USSR, it become known that she was a part of Special Forces that were burning the Russian villages to refuse shelter to the German troops(notoriously non-prepared for the winter).
The first victims of that activity were the Russian farmers. They, allegedly, have found these young people, including Zoya, and turned them over to the Germans.
So, the controversy here, in my opinion, lies in the question: where is the border between the resistance and suicide? Are there any rules that shouldn't be disregarded in any situation?

I have always seen suicide as a permanent solution to a temporary problem. If Zoya was indeed doing what you have suggested, I would also have turned her in had I caught her and she refused to stop her activities. Resistance is one thing, but burning villages was also murder of innocent Russian families. I would not have risked my family either.
However, I must admit, I have never heard the version that you are referring to.

Dean.

I have always seen suicide as a permanent solution to a temporary problem. If Zoya was indeed doing what you have suggested, I would also have turned her in had I caught her and she refused to stop her activities. Resistance is one thing, but burning villages was also murder of innocent Russian families. I would not have risked my family either.
However, I must admit, I have never heard the version that you are referring to.

Dean.

The problem with Soviet history is how R. Conquest has described:
"USSR is a country with unpredictable past"

For many years, we have learned one and only one version of events, now we can find many more...

Have you read a book by V. Suworow "Suicide"?

Ok, name the following operation and which countries were involved.

The aggressor advanced 5 miles.
The aggressor lost 27 KIA, 22 WIA and 28 MIA.
The defender did not counter-attack.

Ok, name the following operation and which countries were involved.

The aggressor advanced 5 miles.
The aggressor lost 27 KIA, 22 WIA and 28 MIA.
The defender did not counter-attack.

Well I am stumped, I can think of a few battles that match one clue but none that match all clues.

Anybody else care to guess?

I am trying to get a few possibilities together but there isnt much to go on, so far I am working on the assumption that this event is a western front 1939-41 event:
- limited casualties and short distances seem to eliminate the eastern front throughout the entire war.
- The short advance also makes North Africa unlikely.

I also have not really looked into the pacific war (mainly because of casualties rate and that you tend to concentrate on European questions :p).

These questions are getting quite tough Doppleganger, perhaps if no-one has answered within a day it's worthwhile giving some extra clues, may I suggest the theatre of war and the time period in this case?

Back