WWII Quiz

boris116 said:
A clue: the new name has not stuck, so my home city has the same name now as it has been before the war

Alright I'll have another stab at this.

1. Liski (Georgiu-Dezh)
2. Gheorghe Gheorghiu-De
3. Voronezh Oblast

Alright I'll have another stab at this.

1. Liski (Georgiu-Dezh)
2. Gheorghe Gheorghiu-De
3. Voronezh Oblast

Nope.

Another clue:

I have said before - the new name has not stuck.

Now I am adding - the new name has not survived even before the WWII has ended(you can surmise from that that the victors didn't like it:)

In 1922 Łódź became the capital of the Łódź Voivodeship, The city received the new name of Litzmannstadt in WW2 after the German general Karl Litzmann, who captured the city during World War I. Nevertheless, many Łódź Germans refused to sign Volksliste and become Volksdeutsche, The name was changed back to Łódź

A few other guesses

Braşov → Oraşul Stalin → Braşov
Zabrze → Hindenburg → Zabrze
Shenyang → Shengjiang → Fengtianfu → Mukden → Fengtian → Shenyang

Lviv was Lemberg

Guess its not because of your clue.

Was it part of Poland or Germany before WW2?

Last edited:
Lviv was Lemberg

Guess its not because of your clue.

Was it part of Poland or Germany before WW2?

It was part of Poland until 1939, then USSR...

OK, the next clue:

If we imagine(just for a moment!!!) that GWB has suggested in 2003 to the British to rename city of Basra after Tony Blair and take the S. Iraq into British possession(making the new "Blair-city" a capital of it)... then it will be very similar to the situation during WWII with my home city....

Well I need another clue here. Kinda stuck.

I think the answer is easy, as soon as you use the logic first, and Google secnd:)
Ask yourself some simple questions, like:
1. who can create a new province and rename cities in the middle of the World War? More probable, it would be the invaders, right?
2. The name has not stuck(my first hint!), so, logically, it would be the Axis powers, who renamed the city...Because, they lost and whatewer changes they have made, they have been unmade by the UN countries
This sets up pretty much the geographical scene, knowing that Riussian is my native language
3. And the last hint I have made (about Basra) should give you a very narrow set of options on who(what countries) could have made these changes.

BTW, my next question will be on what city I have gone to college...:)

It was part of Poland until 1939, then USSR...

OK, the next clue:

If we imagine(just for a moment!!!) that GWB has suggested in 2003 to the British to rename city of Basra after Tony Blair and take the S. Iraq into British possession(making the new "Blair-city" a capital of it)... then it will be very similar to the situation during WWII with my home city....

I was thinking of Brest-on-the-Bug and Brest-Litovsk originally. But it doesnt seem to fit.

Guys, just think "out of the box"!

It were not the Soviets, who renamed the city!!!!
Just think, which of the Axis countries have made the territorial gains during the war at the expense of the USSR....

Well I give up. There's just too many cities/towns that had their name changed during that period. Literally dozens and dozens.

Well I give up. There's just too many cities/towns that had their name changed during that period. Literally dozens and dozens.

OK.

The answer is: Odessa, Ukraine.
In 1941 it has been taken by the German and Romanian troops.
Hitler has given this area(Bessarabia and parts of S. Ukraine ) to his ally Romania and suggested to them to rename Odessa after the Romanian dictator Antonescu. It has become the capital of a new province call Transnistria which included the newly absorbed territories by Romania.
Of course, all these changes have been unmade when the Soviet Army had retaken Odessa in 1944.

Hmm I had thought about Odessa right at the very start but discounted it - doh!

Ok hit us with another one Boris!

This one is much easier:)

The city I have gone to college has been named after the German and because of the Germans between WWI and WWII.
However, during the WWII and because of the Germans this city has lost its status but kept the name.

what is the city name?

suggested to them to rename Odessa after the Romanian dictator Antonescu

boris116

but was the name ever officially changed? it is not on the list on the link I posted for the Soviet Union, neither is it on the Rumanian list. I checked Bessarabia quite early on. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessarabia
Neither is it on the usually comprehensive list of names relating to cities in Wikepedia, or mentioned in the cities history. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odessa (Ukrainian: Одеса, Russian: Одесса; also referred to as Odesa)

Regarding the next question

The city I have gone to college has been named after the German……..? and because of the Germans between WWI and WWII.

German what, person or just a German name? neither do I understand the rest of the question either, because of a German influence between WW1 and WW2?

Last edited:
boris116

but was the name ever officially changed? it is not on the list on the link I posted for the Soviet Union, neither is it on the Rumanian list. I checked Bessarabia quite early on. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessarabia
Neither is it on the usually comprehensive list of names relating to cities in Wikepedia, or mentioned in the cities history. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odessa (Ukrainian: Одеса, Russian: Одесса; also referred to as Odesa)

Perseus,
I know, it was a tricky question...
The city name has been changed officially... by the Romanians.
And, of course, the new name has not been accepted by the population, by the Soviets and by the Allies. So, from the Soviet(and Allied!) point of view, it HAS NEVER BEEN RENAMED!!!
However, if the Axis would have won the War, it would be different, don't you think?
When you have brought that list of the renamed Soviet cities, I have understood, that you are looking in the wrong place
Regarding the next question

German what, person or just a German name? neither do I understand the rest of the question either, because of a German influence between WW1 and WW2?

The city in question has been named after the German person.Between the World wars, it has gained some status( and the Germans where the key). When the war started, it had some negative consequences to the city(again, the Germans have played a major role in it).

Finally, I give you a hint(no relation to Germans here!) - something really remarkable has happened near this city in 1961(can't give you an exact date, because it will give away the answer!!!)

Last edited:
My guess is Vienna. Significant things occured to both Stalingrad and Berlin in 1961 but they don't fit your clues.

So Vienna.

My guess is Vienna. Significant things occured to both Stalingrad and Berlin in 1961 but they don't fit your clues.

So Vienna.

nope!

don't forget, it's a city where I went to college....
What was probability for a Soviet citizen to go study in Vienna?

Remember, that city has been named after a German person!

The two Polish cities I mentioned earlier are the obvious candidates

Łódź → Litzmannstadt → Łódź
Zabrze → Hindenburg → Zabrze

but are you saying the city has still got a Germanic name?

Back