WWII Quiz

Ok here's one for you. I will start with hard clues and then progress to easier ones if you are still stuck.

Who am I and why am I remembered?

1st clue:

My last Chief of Staff was General Sandalov.

Doppleganger said:
Ok here's one for you. I will start with hard clues and then progress to easier ones if you are still stuck.

1st clue:

Umm you are the 4th Ukrainian Front?

Doppleganger

Since Sandalov was chief of staff for 7 different formations (with presumably 7 different commanders) between 1940 and 1946 you would have to supply more information as far as I am concerned.

Something of a guess

Konstantin Konstantinovich Rokossovskii Marshal of Soviet Union was
Commanding Officer of the 16th Army around this area in 41-42.

Doppleganger said:

1st clue:

Ok how about Ivan Stepanovich Konev?
Hard to tell what he was most remembered for probably actions at Kursk or possibly role in the defence of Moscow..

Yes, well done!

General Andrey Andreyevich Vlasov was commander of the Soviet 20th Army during the Battle of Moscow. He was remembered initially as a Soviet hero after his forces pushed back the German 2nd Panzer Division and 106th Infantry Division from Solnechnogorsk. However, he went over to the Germans in Spring 1942 and his name was expunged from Soviet history as a result.

Your turn Boris116.

Doppleganger said:
Yes, well done!

General Andrey Andreyevich Vlasov was commander of the Soviet 20th Army during the Battle of Moscow. He was remembered initially as a Soviet hero after his forces pushed back the German 2nd Panzer Division and 106th Infantry Division from Solnechnogorsk. However, he went over to the Germans in Spring 1942 and his name was expunged from Soviet history as a result.

Your turn Boris116.

Thanks!

It is interesting, how in the Soviet literature it has been described :"The Army where the shief of staff has been General Sandalov..."
That's how I got a clue...
BTW, do you have a link to the info about the German patrols reaching to the Caspian Sea? I have never read about this in the USSR...

I need some time to come up with a new question...

boris116 said:
Thanks!

It is interesting, how in the Soviet literature it has been described :"The Army where the shief of staff has been General Sandalov..."
That's how I got a clue...
BTW, do you have a link to the info about the German patrols reaching to the Caspian Sea? I have never read about this in the USSR...

I need some time to come up with a new question...
Yes, nice choice of words eh? :) I don't know whether his name has been put back into Russian textbooks since the fall of Communism though.

I don't have an online link with any detail regarding German patrols near the Caspian Sea but the following map does show the extent of German penetration into the Near East, including those patrols.

http://users.pandora.be/stalingrad/maps/stalingrad_map_5.htm

Thanks, Doppleganger!

The next question:

I was born in the city that has been renamed during WWII.
The new name has been of a foreign leader.
Also, this city has become the capital of a new province.

1. What city I was born in?
2. What was the name of that leader?
3. What was the name of that province?

Hi boris116, a quick question.

When you say new province do you mean a new state or just a new province within an existing state?

Doppleganger said:
Hi boris116, a quick question.

When you say new province do you mean a new state or just a new province within an existing state?

"A province" means a part of the state, not a separate state, I believe.

Doppleganger said:
How about a clue Boris? I've already discounted Kaliningrad and Karl-Marx-Stadt because they don't fit.

A clue: the new name has not stuck, so my home city has the same name now as it has been before the war

Back