WWII Quiz

Wanted to grab the 1000th reply but I also have a question.

What unique distinction did units from the German Army Group 'A' under Siegmund Wilhelm von List achieve during the invasion of the Soviet Union?

Last edited:
Doppleganger said:
Wanted to grab the 1000th reply but I also have a question.

What unique distinction did units from the German Army Group 'A' under Siegmund Wilhelm von List achieve during the invasion of the Soviet Union?

Well this question is a lot harder than it looked, it surprises me that I have nothing on at all on List nor army group A.

MontyB said:
Well this question is a lot harder than it looked, it surprises me that I have nothing on at all on List nor army group A.

Ok a little help. Army Group 'A' was not one of the original Army Groups that marched into the USSR. It was split off from another Army Group and was given seperate objectives. After a while it became subordinate to another Army Group commanded by Erich von Manstein.

Army group A was one of the groups that split off into the Caucasus to capture the oilfields, so it probably got the furthest from Berlin or furthest East or something like that.

perseus said:
Army group A was one of the groups that split off into the Caucasus to capture the oilfields, so it probably got the furthest from Berlin or furthest East or something like that.

Yes but that isn't the answer I'm looking for. :wink:

Doppleganger said:
Ok a little help. Army Group 'A' was not one of the original Army Groups that marched into the USSR. It was split off from another Army Group and was given seperate objectives. After a while it became subordinate to another Army Group commanded by Erich von Manstein.

Yeah but its the List connection that should be easy and yet isnt as he was not in command of Army Group A for very long (July to early September 1942), he seemed to have a flair for being sacked by Hitler.
As for Army group A it was formed when Army group South was split into Army groups A and B with A taking the south eastern command however I cant find anything on what they achieved as they seem to have been over shadowed by army group B's activities at Stalingrad.

So my guess will be that elements of army group A were the only ones to reach the Caspian Sea.

MontyB said:
Yeah but its the List connection that should be easy and yet isnt as he was not in command of Army Group A for very long (July to early September 1942), he seemed to have a flair for being sacked by Hitler.
As for Army group A it was formed when Army group South was split into Army groups A and B with A taking the south eastern command however I cant find anything on what they achieved as they seem to have been over shadowed by army group B's activities at Stalingrad.

So my guess will be that elements of army group A were the only ones to reach the Caspian Sea.

You're getting a little warmer there Monty but I'm still looking for a little more than that.

Well you have me beat, reaching the Caspian (as Patrols) seemed to be their most notable achievement, perhaps the capture of Sevastopol althought that was before List took command and I dont think their close proximity to Turkey was notable achievement.

I am still prepared to have a go at the answer but I am not sure where to start.

I assume this is the campaign we are talking about, if so there is very little that was "unique" in the operation itself and you have already discounted the "furtherest east, south and reaching the Caspian options.

ArmyGroupA.jpg

Last edited:
Ok one last "geographic" achievement before I move on, On August 21 a Nazi flag was installed on the Elbrus peak, the highest point of Caucasus and apparent Europe as well.

MontyB said:
Ok one last "geographic" achievement before I move on, On August 21 a Nazi flag was installed on the Elbrus peak, the highest point of Caucasus and apparent Europe as well.

Almost there..

Doppleganger said:
Almost there..

Haha I think I have to concede defeat on this one, I am guessing it has something to do with operation Edelweiss but I just cant find anything.

Looking at the map and remembering where they started from, I think that they are the unit that went farther and higher into Russia than any other, although, they did not go the farthest east.
Could also be that they conquered the highest spot during the war, this being Elbrus. IIRC, the region was heavily defended by the Russians, but when the Russians took it back, it had already been abandoned by the Germans.

Dean.

Last edited:
Dean said:
Looking at the map and remembering where they started from, I think that they are the unit that went farther and higher into Russia than any other, although, they did not go the farthest east.
Could also be that they conquered the highest spot during the war, this being Elbrus. IIRC, the region was heavily defended by the Russians, but when the Russians took it back, it had already been abandoned by the Germans.

Dean.

There are lots of things it could be though from the drive on Baku (which oddly enough some sources claim was captured) which would have put them in almost in the middle east and certainly on the Turkish border to the use and recruitment of Muslim troops.

Alright gentlemen, you were pretty close.

The answer I was looking for was that they had held, albeit briefly, both the highest AND lowest points in Europe. The highest being Mount Elbrus at 18,481 feet above sea level and the Caspian Sea being 92 feet below sea level.

I think you were both almost there so either can feel free to submit a new question.

PS Baku was never captured by German forces so whatever sources state that are incorrect.

Doppleganger said:
PS Baku was never captured by German forces so whatever sources state that are incorrect.

Indeed it was one of the reasons I stopped reading that source but they even had a date for its capture.
I suspect it was on Wiki while I was reading about german plans for the region once it was captured.

Any way as we didnt really answer the question I suspect the ball is still in your court.

MontyB said:
Any way as we didnt really answer the question I suspect the ball is still in your court.

Definitely. I would never have found that one, so ask again, Doppelganger.

Dean.

Back