WWII Quiz

MontyB said:
Wasnt there a picture that included mount Fujiyama in the background but I dont recall it being a Life magazine cover.

You got it. It was a photo of mount Fujiyama taken through the periscope of the USS Icefish, and it showed the American public that US ships were finally able to cruise in Japanese home waters with impunity. It gave the idea that the war was close to being won, and as such, it was a great morale booster.

Funny enough, I do not recall seeing it in Life either. I saw it in National Geographic, and in the magazine it was referred to as a famous photograph yadda, yadda.... but from where, i do not remember. It is referred to in the website of the USS Icefish, but unfortunately, it is not shown there.

On to you Monty.

Dean.

Ok something easy:
Elements of what German division were responsible for the occupation of the channel islands.

Dean said:
You got it. It was a photo of mount Fujiyama taken through the periscope of the USS Icefish, and it showed the American public that US ships were finally able to cruise in Japanese home waters with impunity. It gave the idea that the war was close to being won, and as such, it was a great morale booster.

Funny enough, I do not recall seeing it in Life either. I saw it in National Geographic, and in the magazine it was referred to as a famous photograph yadda, yadda.... but from where, i do not remember. It is referred to in the website of the USS Icefish, but unfortunately, it is not shown there.

On to you Monty.

Dean.

It couldnt have been a 1945 cover.

Here is the image I found:

In addition, her eis a blurb from the USS Icefish web site:

Richard Ward Peterson, a retired rear admiral and one of the last surviving and most highly decorated submarine officersof World War II, died at his home in Los Altos on April 14. He was 90.
Born in 1908 in St. Paul, Minnesota, he graduatedfrom the U.S. Naval Academy in 1931. He obtained an MBAfrom the University of Santa Clara in 1968.
During World War II, he commanded several submarineson 10 patrols in the Pacific, each lasting two to 15 months.He was awarded the Navy Cross and Silver Star for extraordinaryheroism, expert seamanship and inspiring leadership, in sinkingenemy shipping while rescuing six downed U.S. airmen in hostile waters.
His daring proximity to the coast of Japan was documentedby his famous photograph, published on the cover of Life magazine,of Mount Fuji, taken through the periscope of his submarine.He was also the recipient of three Bronze Stars (two with Combat Victory)and a Navy Commendation medal with a Combat Victory.

Hope you liked it. I actually remember the image as being a lot cleaner, but then again, I saw it in a vintage National Geographic. If you can find any from the WW II era, they are well worth looking into as they have excellent photography relating to the war.

Dean.

Dean said:
Monty, I do believe it is your turn...

Umm I have already posted a question albeit a really easy one.

MontyB said:
Ok something easy:
Elements of what German division were responsible for the occupation of the channel islands.

I guess it was probably lost in the picture hunt.

:)

Weird I actually thought this was a fairly easy question but now that I do a google search it may not have been that easy, if you like I can post the answer before things stagnate.

According to

http://www.kg6gb.org/channel_islands_occupation_2.htm

"The first occupying forces were from the 216th Infantry Division"

I wonder if the Channel islands occupation offers an insight into how an occupation of Great Britain would have been like, or were the occupiers deliberately playing it easy in the hope that the rest of the country would be more willing to surrender.

Indeed it was I would have pretty much been happy with either the 216th or 319th infantry division.

The German occupation seemed like an odd one but my personal belief is that it was just one of those isolated postings where its easier not to rock the boat. Lets face it the islands seemed to be home to some odd folks especially Sark.

MontyB said:
Indeed it was I would have pretty much been happy with either the 216th or 319th infantry division.

The German occupation seemed like an odd one but my personal belief is that it was just one of those isolated postings where its easier not to rock the boat. Lets face it the islands seemed to be home to some odd folks especially Sark.

I am sure a post to the Channel Islands was more welcome than the Eastern Front!

Now the World Cup is over can we keep the thread moving please....

Next question?

The first 'halt' command on the 22nd May 1940 which probably stopped the German panzers from taking Dunkirk and preventing the British evacuation was influenced by what recent event and whose exaggerated claims?

Last edited:
Back