WWII Quiz - Page 42

--

February 4th, 2006  
redcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCombat
Good job. Your turn Redcoat
Thank you.

Time for a fairly easy submarine question.

In the history of submarine warfare there has been only one occasion when a submarine has sunk an enemy submarine while both were underwater.

Who? When? and Where ?
February 5th, 2006  
Dean

Was it the "Rorqual" torpedoes and sinks submarine "CAPPONI" off Sicily?

A longshot.

Dean.
February 5th, 2006  
redcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
Was it the "Rorqual" torpedoes and sinks submarine "CAPPONI" off Sicily?

A longshot.

Dean.
Sorry, but no.

The Capponi wasn't submerged when she was sunk. She was sunk while sailing on the surface of the water.

Around 60 submarines were sunk by other submarines in WW2, in all except one case the submarine sunk was on the surface.
--
February 7th, 2006  
Reiben

USS Gudgeon (SS-211) is the first U. S. submarine to sink an enemy submarine, the Japanese IJN I-173.on January 27, 1942.The Japanese submarine had just returned from a patrol which took her well into American water off the coast of California and Washington. So I would say Pacific Ocean near Japanese home islands (Kyushu?)
February 8th, 2006  
redcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiben
USS Gudgeon (SS-211) is the first U. S. submarine to sink an enemy submarine, the Japanese IJN I-173.on January 27, 1942.The Japanese submarine had just returned from a patrol which took her well into American water off the coast of California and Washington. So I would say Pacific Ocean near Japanese home islands (Kyushu?)
Sorry, but I-173 was also on the surface when sunk.

clue.
British Royal Navy submarines are credited with sinking 36 axis submarines during WW2
February 9th, 2006  
tomtom22

Submarine "Triumph" on patrol off the Egyptian coast sinks the Italian submarine "SALPA". 27 JUNE 1941
February 9th, 2006  
redcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom22
Submarine "Triumph" on patrol off the Egyptian coast sinks the Italian submarine "SALPA". 27 JUNE 1941
Nope.
Again, the submarine was sunk while on the surface

more clues
1)Its very cold
2) The victim was the second Axis submarine to be sunk by this submarine.
February 9th, 2006  
Reiben

Your not thinking of a movie are you?
February 10th, 2006  
Fox

You means like "U-571". That movie that have when a submarine has sunk an enemy submarine while both were underwater. Not sure, if the Americans did really hijacked the German submarine.
February 10th, 2006  
Damien435

I think the British were the ones who captured the enigma, where America helped was that we had "computers" that could go through thousands of combinations a day until it worked.