WWII Quiz

Snub.....You are nearly right, the Germans did give them that name, but it was the Red Dust in the desert that covered them as they charged the German lines rather than the beret.

tomtom22 said:
I will pass my turn to LeEnfield

LeEnfield 2 said:
The British Paratroopers where known as the Red Devils, who gave them that name and why.

The above by LeEnfield is the question. And I think LeEnfield has acknowledged that sunb! has answered it correctly, therefore if LeEnfield agrees, sunb! has the right to the next question.

tomtom22 said:
The above by LeEnfield is the question. And I think LeEnfield has acknowledged that sunb! has answered it correctly, therefore if LeEnfield agrees, sunb! has the right to the next question.

Can I please have another go? I have a really good question for you 8)

Spring 1943 Waffen SS requested permission to recruit a special Hitler Youth formation for boys under military age. What was the name of the division created and how many from the Youth organization served in it? What was so special about the NCOs in the division?

The Hitler youth units were the 12th Division Hitlerjugend, there 20,000 of them around Caen in 1944 and 17.000 were killed trying to stop the British and Canadian advanced. As far the NCO's go I do not have a clue, the only thing I do know about them is they got an extra sweet ration or some thing like that. Also by the time this unit returned to Germany at the Wars end there were just 600 lads left alive from the 20,000 that started out

LeEnfield 2 said:
The Hitler youth units were the 12th Division Hitlerjugend, there 20,000 of them around Caen in 1944 and 17.000 were killed trying to stop the British and Canadian advanced. As far the NCO's go I do not have a clue, the only thing I do know about them is they got an extra sweet ration or some thing like that. Also by the time this unit returned to Germany at the Wars end there were just 600 lads left alive from the 20,000 that started out

You are correct LeEnfield! The 12th Panzer Division Hitlerjugend was created and began training the same year, counting 10.000 voulenteers whose average age was 17. They were led by good officers who had worked their way through the ranks - but their NCO's were boys with no combat experience at all.

Your turn, LeEnfield! :D

I'll take a complete shot in the dark here. Was it the Swordfish torpedo planes launched from the aircraft carrier Victorious to sink the Bismarck?

Do I win a prize???

In July 1918 Furious launched six Sopworth Cammels against the Tandem Zeppelin sheds on what became the first ever carrier strike.

Back