WWII Quiz

OK. I give up:)

It has happened during the Solomon Islands campaign(if i am not mistaken) in 1943. There were a couple of islands with a strait between them. The American solgiers occupying the islands were afraid of going to the latrines in the jungles, so they have adopted the "japanese" design - two sturdy planks were fixed over water, so one could crap directly into the Pacific without being bit by some tropical bug or a snake.
Unfortunately for the GI's, the same strait has been used by the Arlen Burke's destroyer division to get to the Japanese controlled waters(and get out).
The saiors have noticed by experimenting, that if their vessel's speed was greater than 27 knots, its wake would "flush" over those makeshift toilets, sometimes destroying them. Do not forget - there were the destroyers:).
So, they have started to compete with each other on who "flushes" more of those toilets and paint their "victory signs" on their bridges.
However, their good humor was not appreciated by the Army...
Imagine, you are peacefully squatting and doing your personal things over quet waters and, suddenly, a little tsunami kicks you underwater!
So, the solgiers have been complaining vigorously and Captain Burke had to issue a specific order forbidding this "competition", sign painting and speeds over 25 knots while close to land.
I have read this great story in the famous "History of the US Naval Operations in WWII" by S. E. Morison

Last edited:
Nobody has wanted to answer my previous question:-(
So, I consider it to be my fault:)

Should I post the next question, then?

If yes, I will give you, guys, an easy one:

During the WWII, the Germans have advanced into Russia up to the Volga River, i. e. for hundreds of miles deep into Soviet territory.
Where was the place where the Germans have advanced the least?

Off the top of my head, (which is easy as there is a notable lack of hair there) could it be Leningrad?

Dean.

Last edited:
Well, I guess your history books left out the part about the 900 day siege of the city...

I would like a clarification, if you don't mind. Are we talking about an area that the Germans did attack, but did not get that far, or an area that the Germans never attacked? (Spitzbergen, Novaya Zemyla)

Dean.

Dean said:
I would like a clarification, if you don't mind. Are we talking about an area that the Germans did attack, but did not get that far, or an area that the Germans never attacked? (Spitzbergen, Novaya Zemyla)

Dean.

I think your on to something Dean. I would say shortest advance was from Finland

Dean said:

Dean.

Dean, of course, we are looking into the area where the Germans DID attack!
BTW, Spitzbergen is a Norvegian territory

zander_0633 said:
Is it Sweden? Or is it in finland or one of the Scandinavian countries?

Why are you trying to guess?
Isn't better just to look for up for some map of the Eastern front?

Back