WWII Quiz

boris116 said:
11/12 May (1940)- 19 Hampdens and 18 Whitleys bomb road and rail targets in München-Gladbach - the first raid on a German town. 2 Hampdens and 1 Whitley lost; 4 people killed.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bombercommand/diary_france.html
That is indeed the first raid on a German town or city by the RAF, in which civilians were killed.
However, somebody bombed a German town or city, and killed civilians a few days before the RAF.
So who, and where was it ;)

redcoat said:
That is indeed the first raid on a German town or city by the RAF, in which civilians were killed.
However, somebody bombed a German town or city, and killed civilians a few days before the RAF.
So who, and where was it ;)

The only thing I have found so far was a bombing of the German city of Ohlau( now Olawa - in Poland) by one plane(PZL.23 KARAS) on September 2nd, 1939.
However, I couldn't find any casualty records for this event.

The blizkrieg has started on May 10th, 1940

Who could make a raid before that, besides RAF and the Germans themselves(friendly fire?)

boris116 said:
The only thing I have found so far was a bombing of the German city of Ohlau( now Olawa - in Poland) by one plane(PZL.23 KARAS) on September 2nd, 1939.
However, I couldn't find any casualty records for this event.
I know of this event, but I've also no reports of any civilian casualties with this attack either
The blizkrieg has started on May 10th, 1940

Who could make a raid before that, besides RAF and the Germans themselves(friendly fire?)
You are getting very close ;)

Last edited:
Freiburg, May10 1940
German planes got lost and bombed this German city by mistake, 53 casualties.
Goebbels had blamed it on the French...

boris116 said:
Freiburg, May10 1940
German planes got lost and bombed this German city by mistake, 53 casualties.
Goebbels had blamed it on the French...
Correct, they later used this attack as an excuse for their attacks on French towns and cities.

In fact it was bombed by He 111's of the Luftwaffe who thought they were bombing Muhlhausen in Alsace. ( what with Rotterdam and later London, the Germans seemed to have had a problem with 'accidental' bombing in this period)

your turn, boris116 :)

There is a custom to paint signs of victories on the war machines - indicating a number of the dogfight wins, bombing missions, destroyed tanks, sunk submarines.... Svastikas, stars, siluettes of tanks or U-boats
Who, where and why has started to paint the siluettes of the toilets on the bridges of their warships?

Last edited:
zander_0633 said:
Because the brits thought that the sinking ships look like the flushing water movement of the toliet?

O-oh, you are just guessing!:bored:

No, it's WWII quiz.
And the Brits did respect their enemies!

Back