WWII Quiz

Original question

Redcoat said:
In the history of submarine warfare there has been only one occasion when a submarine has sunk an enemy submarine while both were underwater.

Who? When? and Where ? :wink:

This is the question, everything else is:eek:fftopic:

AUGUST 1942
Atlantic
3rd - On anti-U-boat patrol between the Shetlands and Norway, submarine "Saracen" torpedoes "U-335" on passage out.

Last edited:
Damien435 said:
I think the British were the ones who captured the enigma,
The enigma device first fell into allied hands pre-war, when Polish intelligence got hold of a machine. They later passed this on to Britain along with a lot of valuable groundwork info on their efforts to break the code.
It was the code-books which came with the machine which the British captured on a U-boat which was important .

]where America helped was that we had "computers" that could go through thousands of combinations a day until it worked.
Not computers, but calculating machines called 'Bombs' to help work out the variables.
It was the British who developted a computer called 'Colssus' to help break the code.

clue
While the movie or enigma had nothing to do with the action I'm looking for, it was used as an example by the movie makers to show that WW2 submarines could engage one another while both underwater.

Last edited:
tomtom22 said:
AUGUST 1942
Atlantic
3rd - On anti-U-boat patrol between the Shetlands and Norway, submarine "Saracen" torpedoes "U-335" on passage out.
Sorry, but no.

clue.
Right part of the world ;)

Hey, Try this! Wad did the Japanese Said thorugh the Radio When they had successfully bombed and destroyed Pearl Harbour?

zander_0633 said:
Hey, Try this! Wad did the Japanese Said thorugh the Radio When they had successfully bombed and destroyed Pearl Harbour?
The code words used to indicate success were,
Tora !, Tora ! Tora !
Tora is Japanese for Tiger.

ps, The sub question hasn't been answered yet.:read:

The rule is to only ask a question, after you have correctly answered the previous one.

Reiben said:
Venturer off Bergen, Norway sinks with torpedoes U864. 9/2/45
Well done !

Here's a description of the action from the British Submarine Heritage web-site
http://www.submarineheritage.com/gallery_vandal.html

""Venturer" distinguished herself by sinking two German Submarines.
"U771" was sunk on the 11th November 1944. "U864" was sunk on the 9th February 1945 in a unique action as both boats were submerged.
"U864" was detected by "Venturer's" ASDIC used in passive mode so that there could be no tell "ping".
"Venturer's" Commanding Officer Lt. J.S. Launders was also able to obtain good sightings on the U Boats periscopes due to what Launders described as "the most shameful periscope drill on the U Boats part". From information provided by the ASDIC and Launders sightings, Launders concluded he was broad on U 864's starboard bow.
venturer_crest.gif
For the next hour he used the ASDIC to determine a plot of "U864's" course and when finally certain of direction and speed fired four MK VIII** torpedoes in a "hosepipe" salvo. The range was 3,000 yards and "U864" took one torpedo and sank."

your turn ;)

Last edited:
redcoat said:
The code words used to indicate success were,
Tora !, Tora ! Tora !
Tora is Japanese for Tiger.

ps, The sub question hasn't been answered yet.:read:

The rule is to only ask a question, after you have correctly answered the previous one.

Sorry! not very sure about this topic's rules! anyway, the answer is correct!

The Japanese at Pearl Harbour copied the idea of the Royal Navy, who in 1940 attacked the Italian fleet in Taranto Harbour.

What did a detachment of Swoardfish do in the first wave?

How many Swordfish in the detachment?
What did they do?
At what altitude?
And where at Taranto?

Shortly before 2100, on 11 November 1940, 12 swordfish biplanes took off from the Illustrious. Six carried torpedoes, four carried six 250lb bombs and 2 had four bombs and heavy illuminating flares.All carried extra fuel tanks either in the rear cockpits or slung on the outside.
By 2250 they were approaching Taranto. Anti-aircraft and machine-gun fire rose to meet them. Just off Cape San Vito, the two aircraft with flares swung away to starboard while the first wave of aircraft lined up to attack through the line of Barrage balloons, from the east. As they flew in across the bay, in front lay the battleship Cavour.

altitude, estimated at about 1200 meters during the approach, suddenly decreased to a few meters before the launch. Source: http://www.regiamarina.net/engagements/taranto/taranto_first_us.htm

Last edited:
tomtom22 said:
2 had four bombs and heavy illuminating flares.
correct

tomtom22 said:
Just off Cape San Vito, the two aircraft with flares swung away
not the answer I was looking for. The answer is on that website. You are nearly there, would you like to give another answer?

tomtom22 said:
altitude, estimated at about 1200 meters during the approach
I have 7,000ft but whats the odd few thousand ft amongst friends

Their flight path took them north of the San Pietro island, south of the "Secca della Sirena" to then make a sweeping 180 degree turn over the Littorio. Their escape route took them over the San Pietro Island and back into the Gulf of Taranto.

sorry not the answer i have

the Swordfishes skimmed along the Mar Grande dropping there flares

over to you

Really, I give up. The swordfish broke off into several different groups. Which one are you referring to?

When I said over to you I meant, your question to set mate:salute2: :salute2:

The answer was that I was looking for was Mar Grande, which I gave.

Whats your question?

Back