WWII Quiz - Page 214

--

October 27th, 2013  
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
The United Defense Supply Corporation was set up in 1940 by the then-neutral American government as a front to supply Allied nations with weapons. United Defense contracted the Marlin gun manufacturing firm to produce the Model 42 submachine gun that had been designed in 1938 by Carl G. Swebilius. These limited quantities were to be sent to the Dutch East Indies, but the Japanese invaded before delivery could be made, and the stocks were given over to the Office of Strategic Services.

The DEI forces were also supposed to get the M-1941 Johnson Rifles also, even though they were in 30-06 instead of the Dutch 6.5mm standard ammo, didn't get there either.
December 22nd, 2013  
MontyB

Well I guess I will throw out another question...

Approximately one week before the Doolittle raid on Tokyo there was another series of raids on Japanese positions in the Philippines, over three days they flew 20 sorties without loss.
Who commanded the raids?
March 24th, 2014  
George

Who was the only person to become an Ace flying a bomber?
--
March 25th, 2014  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
I suspect this isn't the guy you mean but Han-Ulrich Rudel has nine kills in a Ju-87G
March 25th, 2014  
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
I suspect this isn't the guy you mean but Han-Ulrich Rudel has nine kills in a Ju-87G
Really! Usually think of Stukas as being bait! Horizontal bombers.
March 25th, 2014  
MontyB

Quote:
Really! Usually think of Stukas as being bait! Horizontal bombers.
Oddly enough the Ju-87G was a horizontal bomber because the 37mm cannon made it unstable in a dive but yes I understand what you mean.
March 28th, 2014  
George

Quote:
While we're waiting on this...Who was the only living person to have a Liberty ship (inadvertently) named after him?
March 28th, 2014  
MontyB

Quote:
While we're waiting on this...Who was the only living person to have a Liberty ship (inadvertently) named after him?
Francis J O'Gara was presumed killed when the Japanese submarine I-8 sunk the SS Jean Nicolet, O'Gara is the only living person to have a Liberty ship named after him. He was found after the war in a Japanese POW camp.

Now back to level bombers.
March 29th, 2014  
MontyB

Quote:
I am stumped by this one as I can not find any bomber pilots who shot down any bombers from the pilots seat primarily because I can not think of any bombers where the pilot had control of the guns.

I have found a couple of instances where a crewman on a bomber was credited with 5 or more kills such as F/Sgt Peter Engbrechtof the Royal Canadian Air Force who was officially credited with 5.5 kills and 2 probables while manning the upper mid-turret of a Halifax bomber and one B-17 gunner was awarded 7 kills but I can not find his name.
March 29th, 2014  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Are you thinking of Hans-Ulrich Rudel a Stuka pilot with 9 kills to his credit?