WWII Quiz

1. Caen
2. Green White and Red Sectors
3. French Marines (apparently, there were 177 of them)

For what it's worth...

Dean.

Last edited:
MontyB said:
Well I know the Canadians were close by so I will go with Canada as the second country (especially since most of the rest of the commonwealth is southern hemisphere and were engaged in Italy and the pacific at that time).

The first part has me beat though as the objective of the assault was Caen but not the landing beach so I will try Caen?

Good for you. It was Caen, Canadians and British, Green, White and Red sector. So its your turn MontyB.

CanadianCombat said:
Good for you. It was Caen, Canadians and British, Green, White and Red sector. So its your turn MontyB.

Ok will try something easy, what (looking for a name here) is credited with firing the first shots of WW2?

The first shot of World War II in Europe was fired from the German battleship Schleswig Holstein which was on an official visit to Poland and berthed in Danzig harbour. At 4.30 am on September 1, 1939, the ship moved slowly down the Port Canal and took up position opposite the Westerplatte (an area containing Polish troop barracks and workshops) and at 4.47 am, the order to 'Fire' was given.

CanadianCombat said:
The first shot of World War II in Europe was fired from the German battleship Schleswig Holstein which was on an official visit to Poland and berthed in Danzig harbour. At 4.30 am on September 1, 1939, the ship moved slowly down the Port Canal and took up position opposite the Westerplatte (an area containing Polish troop barracks and workshops) and at 4.47 am, the order to 'Fire' was given.

Exactly.
See told it was a nice easy one.

All yours.

CanadianCombat said:
another easy one.

The first B-17 'Flying Fortress' to be shot down in WW II was?

D-Dog, a Fortress Mk I*, of 90 squadron RAF.

This was the first of 3 Flying Fortresses shot down on the 8th September 1941 during a raid on Oslo.
The pilot credited with shooting it down was Lt. Alfred Jakobi of 13/JG77 , flying a Bf 109T

*known as Fortress C to the USAAF

Last edited:
CanadianCombat said:
Good job. Your turn Redcoat
Thank you.

Time for a fairly easy submarine question.

In the history of submarine warfare there has been only one occasion when a submarine has sunk an enemy submarine while both were underwater.

Who? When? and Where ? ;)

Last edited:
Was it the "Rorqual" torpedoes and sinks submarine "CAPPONI" off Sicily?

A longshot.

Dean.

Dean said:
Was it the "Rorqual" torpedoes and sinks submarine "CAPPONI" off Sicily?

A longshot.

Dean.

Sorry, but no.

The Capponi wasn't submerged when she was sunk. She was sunk while sailing on the surface of the water.

Around 60 submarines were sunk by other submarines in WW2, in all except one case the submarine sunk was on the surface.

USS Gudgeon (SS-211) is the first U. S. submarine to sink an enemy submarine, the Japanese IJN I-173.on January 27, 1942.The Japanese submarine had just returned from a patrol which took her well into American water off the coast of California and Washington. So I would say Pacific Ocean near Japanese home islands (Kyushu?)

Reiben said:
USS Gudgeon (SS-211) is the first U. S. submarine to sink an enemy submarine, the Japanese IJN I-173.on January 27, 1942.The Japanese submarine had just returned from a patrol which took her well into American water off the coast of California and Washington. So I would say Pacific Ocean near Japanese home islands (Kyushu?)
Sorry, but I-173 was also on the surface when sunk.

clue.
British Royal Navy submarines are credited with sinking 36 axis submarines during WW2

Submarine "Triumph" on patrol off the Egyptian coast sinks the Italian submarine "SALPA". 27 JUNE 1941

Last edited:
tomtom22 said:
Submarine "Triumph" on patrol off the Egyptian coast sinks the Italian submarine "SALPA". 27 JUNE 1941
Nope.
Again, the submarine was sunk while on the surface

more clues
1)Its very cold
2) The victim was the second Axis submarine to be sunk by this submarine.

You means like "U-571". That movie that have when a submarine has sunk an enemy submarine while both were underwater. Not sure, if the Americans did really hijacked the German submarine.

I think the British were the ones who captured the enigma, where America helped was that we had "computers" that could go through thousands of combinations a day until it worked.

Back