WWII Quiz

Thanks for the honour. Seeing as I am not very popular in another thread, I'll take anything I can get.

OK, here goes an easy one. At the beginning of the war, Britain had a number of heavy bombers, but all of them proved inadequate to the task at hand. One of them, however, showed promise, and was upgraded with two more engines to become the excellent Lancaster heavy bomber. What was the predecessor to the Lancaster?

Dean.

The Cooler King said:
You're always welcomed in the WWII quiz Dean. :cheers:

As for the question... Was it the
Avro Manchester?

Hehe its a great spot to hide from the political forum.
However i think you are right with the Avro Manchester.

He is indeed right with the Manchester. It was a medium bomber that showed very little promise, but the enlarged four engined version became (IMO) the best heavy bomber used in Europe. There is one in the Aviation Museum in Ottawa, Canada. It is really impressive.

Over to you, Cooler King.

Dean.

The Cooler King said:
That's correct Monty. An amazing story, to say the least.

http://www.pegasus-one.org/pow/franz_von_werra.htm
Oddly enough if the information in that link is correct then I am wrong.

It was at this point that he began to worry what would happen to him. He was only the third German prisoner of war to make a successful escape from Canada. The first man had managed to return home via Japan and Russia, but the second had been handed straight back to the Canadians.
It would seem that there was one before him that made it back to Germany, so perhaps we should continue the question to find the real number one.
But yes you are correct it is an amazing story.

Last edited:
Yes, he was only the third German prisoner of war to make a successful escape from Canada. But he was the only German prisoner of war taken in Britain during the Second World War who escaped and got back to Germany. Ask away Monty.

The Cooler King said:
Yes, he was only the third German prisoner of war to make a successful escape from Canada. But he was the only German prisoner of war taken in Britain during the Second World War who escaped and got back to Germany. Ask away Monty.

Ok as always I am somewhat unprepared (which makes me wonder why I keep trying to answer the questions) But I will try an easy one:

What other name was briefly given to operation Overlord prior to the landings?

Fox said:
Nope you are about 9 months too late.
:)

I will make it a fraction clearer, there was a short period of time in 1943 where operation Overlord had a different name.

Damien435 said:
Operation Kick the :cen: Out of Hitler's Superior Race?

Hehe I think that was the objective.

I am a little worried about this question as its sort of a trick one, the name I am looking for remained part of overlord.

Back