WWII Quiz - Page 173

--

February 4th, 2009  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
There is also further coroborating evidence in that the three personal items listed on the body of Major Martin were identified recently as the three items that were always carried by the HMS Dasher crewman by his surviving sister.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...534001763.html
Good site Monty, I missed that one.

Now to get back to my question.

Who was the youngest sailor to win the Victoria Cross?

On which ship did he win his VC?

During which battle did he win his VC?

At what age did he win his VC?
February 5th, 2009  
Mayser

Boy Seaman 1st class John "jack" cornwell, 16 1/2 when awarded the VH. assigned to the HMS Chester, at the battle of Jutland...his story.

John "Jack" Travers Cornwell was born as a third child into a working-class family at Clyde Place, Leyton, Essex (now in Greater London). His parents were Eli and Lily Cornwell. The family later moved to Alverstone Road, East Ham. He joined the Boy Scouts but left school at the age of 14. At the outbreak of the First World War, ex-soldier Eli Cornwell volunteered for service and was fighting in France under Lord Kitchener. The older brother Arthur also served in an infantry regiment in Flanders.
In October 1915, Jack Cornwell gave up his job as a delivery boy and enlisted into the Royal Navy, without his father's permission. He had references from his headmaster and employer. He carried out his basic training at HMS Vivid Keyham Naval Barracks at Plymouth and received further training as a Sight Setter or Gun Layer and became Boy Seaman First Class. On the Easter Monday of 1916, Cornwell left for Rosyth, Scotland to join his assignment in the navy. He was assigned to HMS Chester.
On May 31, 1916, Chester was scouting ahead of the 3rd Battlecruiser Squadron at the Battle of Jutland when the ship turned to investigate gunfire in the distance. It soon came under intense fire from four Kaiserliche Marine cruisers each her own size which had suddenly emerged out of the haze and increasing funnel smoke of the battlefield. The shielded 5.5-inch gun mounting where Cornwell was serving as a sight-setter was affected by at least four nearby hits. The Chester's gun mountings were open backed shields and did not reach the deck. Splinters were thus able to pass under them or enter the open back when shells exploded nearby or behind. Although severely wounded Cornwell remained at his post until Chester retired from the action with only one main gun still working. Chester had received a total of 18 hits but partial hull armour meant the interior of the ship suffered little serious damage and the ship was never in peril. The situation on deck, however, was a bloody shambles. Many of the gun crews had lost lower limbs due to splinters passing under the gun shields. British ships report passing the Chester to cheers from limbless wounded gun crew laid out on her deck and smoking cigarettes, only to hear that the same crewmen had died a few hours later from blood loss or shock.
After the action Cornwell was found to be sole survivor at his gun, shards of steel penetrating his chest, looking at the gun sights and still waiting for orders. Being incapable of further action, Chester was ordered to the port of Immingham. There Cornwell was transferred to Grimsby General Hospital, although he was clearly dying. He died June 2, 1916 before his mother could arrive at the hospital.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Cornwell
February 5th, 2009  
BritinAfrica

Correct Mayser. His mother recieved the VC on her sons behalf from the King.
--
February 6th, 2009  
Mayser

Question:
Name the beach that was "key to the entrance to Normandy" and which british division was given the objective to capture the city of Caen? Lastly what division did they go up against?
February 6th, 2009  
BritinAfrica

Name the beach that was "key to the entrance to Normandy"
Omaha beach

which British division was given the objective to capture the city of Caen?
3rd Infantry Division

Lastly what division did they go up against?
21st Panzer Division
February 9th, 2009  
Mayser

The 2 divisions are correct, but im gonna double check on the beach, my source says a different beach...
February 9th, 2009  
BritinAfrica

The only other beach I would consider to be the gateway would be Sword beach
February 10th, 2009  
Mayser

that's it.
February 10th, 2009  
BritinAfrica

Which Axis aircraft was fitted with a Rolls Royce engine before and after WW2?

Name the aircraft and the engines used.
February 11th, 2009  
Mayser

I know its a German aircraft, so thats where i started and i believe that it was the Arado Ar 65, powered by a 640 hp (477 kW) Rolls-Royce Kestrel VI engine, it had a maximum speed of 211 mph (340 km/h). im not to sure but i also believe that the Arado Ar 67 used the same engine aswell...