WWII Quiz - Page 152

--

January 4th, 2008  
MontyB

Go figure two unique events on one day but this wasn't the one I was looking for.

The event I am looking for occurred once only during WW2 and had no follow on.

The one thing that worries me about this question is that it may have a disputed answer.
January 5th, 2008  
perseus

This may have been an Italian flight to Japan using a special version of the SM.75 transport aircraft. The commander of the aircraft was Ten. Col. Antonio Moscatelli,

The take off took place from the airport of Guidonia (Rome) at 5:50 GMT of June 29 with stops at Zaporoskie airfield, Ukraina and Pao Tow Chen, Mongolia, this finally arrived possibly on July 3? in Tokyo.
January 5th, 2008  
MontyB

Indeed it was, I figured it may be a contested answer as many (including myself) thought that the Germans had flown several flights over Russia in JU-290's but apparently this is not the case.
--
January 5th, 2008  
perseus

Interesting question MontyB.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_290
three Ju 290s, carrying extra fuel tanks, made a non-stop flight to Manchuria to exchange technical data with the Japanese. They returned with rare metals needed by Germany for special alloys.

I vaguely recall a report of a trip in the latter stages of the war between Norway and Japan over the pole but perhaps this is another 'story'.
January 6th, 2008  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus
Interesting question MontyB.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_290
three Ju 290s, carrying extra fuel tanks, made a non-stop flight to Manchuria to exchange technical data with the Japanese. They returned with rare metals needed by Germany for special alloys.

I vaguely recall a report of a trip in the latter stages of the war between Norway and Japan over the pole but perhaps this is another 'story'.
Yep apparently there were several planned attempts by Germany but all were effectively torpedoed by either war related problems or the Japanese not wishing to cause problems with Russia.

http://www.comandosupremo.com/Triumph.html

Certainly KG200 was in the process of being equipped for such flights in 1944 but it is not reported that the aircraft were available by the end of the war.
Further to this Albert Speer noted in his own memoirs that flights to Japan ("Manchuria") were flown by civil test pilots and not millitary crews but Wolf Baumgart who flew with KG200 said that flights to Japan, Manchuria were discussed but never flown.

This was from "KG-200 The Luftwaffe Most Secret Unit" by Geofrey Thomas and Barry Ketley
January 6th, 2008  
perseus

Talking about abandoned projects, one such idea is the subject of my next question.

Who produced a lengthy war winning memorandum suggesting one of the most ambitious naval operations ever proposed just a few days after getting into office

What was it called, what did it involve, and by what means was it scuppered. As a bonus who was sacked due to the total opposition to the plan.
January 7th, 2008  
perseus

A clue, the project was scuppered on 20 Jan 1940. It is not very difficult to guess who dreamed up this 'ambitious' plan in a few days!
January 7th, 2008  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus
A clue, the project was scuppered on 20 Jan 1940. It is not very difficult to guess who dreamed up this 'ambitious' plan in a few days!
Hehe this question is annoying me as I know the answer but I can't for the life of me find it.
January 7th, 2008  
The Other Guy

hmmm... I know part of it....
January 20th, 2008  
The Other Guy

It was Winston Churchill's plan...

I think it had something to do with large emplacements in the middle of the English channel used to alert to a German Invasion...