WWII Quiz

Quite a few asians where captured on d day, from different countries. I think the oones the question relates to are the ones that where sent back to their own country.

what? I thionk they were Korean as the Japs did tend to recruit them, but some1 already mentioned that..

what about SE countries?

Guys, I was being stupid. I have no idea, and this is one of those things I've never heard of. Wait until Damien435 comes back online, and he should be able to point us all in the right direction.

Edit time again. I found it, and I think that TomTom22 might be right. Here's what I found:

That is correct, except that the number of Koreans captured on D-Day was a lot more than two. I saw a photo showing at least 20, if not more, and also film showing captured Koreans.
The Koreans had been conscripts in the Japanese Army, Korea being at that time a colony of Japan. There were many hundreds of thousands of Koreans in the Japanese Army during the war.
These particular Koreans had been among the many hundreds of prisoners taken by the Red Army during the fighting at Nomonhan on the Manchukuo-Mongolian border, in August-September 1939. After an armistice was signed on 15 September, most of the Japanese prisoners were returned, but it appears that the Red Army retained Koreans on the basis that they were not Japanese but "unwilling colonial conscripts" who should be given their freedom, and permitted to "volunteer" for service in the Red Army.
When Red Army formations were transferred west in 1941, the Koreans went with them, and were captured by the Germans, among the millions of Red Army men taken prisoner in that year. Like most POWs of non-Russian ethnicity, they were allowed to enlist in the various auxiliary formations recruited by the Wehrmacht from among the captured Soviet soldiers. So far as I know, there was no separate Korean formation; the Koreans formed part of a larger unit consisting of other Soviet minority groups.
In 1943, most of the auxiliary formations of Soviet origin were transferred from the Eastern Front to the West, where they fought in France and Italy. The particular auxiliary formation to which the Koreans belonged was assigned to the garrison of the coastal defences in Normandy, which is how they came to be captured on D-Day.

Now I am not the person who posted this question,so we have to wait for Damien to come back to tell us whoever is right. Do not take this as confirmation to post a new question.

Dean.

Last edited:
tomtom22 is correct with Korea.

Among the first Germans captured at Normandy were several Koreans. They had been forced to fight for the Japanese Army until they were captured by the Russians and forced to fight for the Russian Army until they were captured by the Germans and forced to fight for the German Army until they were captured by the US Army.

What was the first foreign ground combat unit to enter Japan at the end of the war for occupation duty.

By foreign, do you mean American or other Allied?

There was an advance party of the 8th Army that arrived at Tokyo's Atsugi Airport on August 28, 1945. AFAIK, they were the first Americans. On the 30th, the 4th Marine Regiment of the 6th Marine Division landed at Yokosuka while at the same time, the bulk of the 8th Army began to land at Atsugi.
On February 30, 1946, The British Commonwealth Occupation Force landed advance parties at Kure and passed into the control of Eighth Army.

A shot in the dark, but relatively well aimed....

Dean.

Last edited:
Arkansas?!?? Whatever.
Are you referring to the Russians invading the Kuriles by any chance?

Dean.

A happy, healthy and prosperous New Year to all.

Sigh.... MM, don't be afraid to look at the previous page of the thread. It is still Tomtom's turn, and we are waiting for his reply. Patience, o impulsive one!

Dean.

The Kuriles was part of Japan at the time - the 365th Separate Marine Battalion and one battalion of the 113th infantry brigade.

From a site I found The talks between the two countries (Russia and Japan) resulted in the conclusion of the St. Petersburg Treaty of May 7, 1875, according to which Japan gave up its claims to Sakhalin in exchange for Russia's renunciation of title to all the Kurile islands in favor of Japan. The Treaty, however, did not put an end to conflicting ambitions in the area. Certain political circles in Tokyo never accepted the loss of Sakhalin, while Russian military strategists kept planning the future "acquisition" of the Kuriles. The escalation of bilateral tensions resulted in the Russo-Japanese war of 1904-05 and the defeat of the Russian army and navy. The Treaty of Portsmouth (September 5, 1905) gave Japan title to the half of Sakhalin/Karafuto to the south of the 50th parallel. Therefore if correct Russia was the first foreign country to enter Japan.

Last edited:
Back