WWII Quiz

Street fighting in the rubble of stalingrad. The use of the rubble/destroyed city reduced the effectiveness of german armour. The Russians with their backs to the Volga could not give up any more ground. The German morale was being reduced by heavy losses and became increasingly frustrated as they could not break the russians.

Reiben, you are right about what you said, however it was hardly a new tactic as it was used from the very beginning of the battle. MM, sometimes you are the luckiest twit around. You should now go and buy yourself a lotto ticket. The difference was indeed in the way they shelled them, or should I say, how thay used their artillery. Instead of having artillery units organic to each Division, as was the case to that point, the Russians did something different, and this resulted in what we now consider the AAG or Army Artillery Group. They took all of their Artillery out of Stalingrad (except AT guns and some Stalin Organs) and lined them up on the left bank of the Volga. There, they had EVERYTHING, from Stalin Organs all the way up to the huge 8 inch siege guns. Due to the fact that the fighting in Stalingrad was in quite a small area, the guns on the East bank were in range of anyone who decided to try to attack the Russian lines in the later stages of the battle. When the Russian forward spotters saw evidence of an attack forming up, they simply called down the wrath of the God of War on them, and most of the later attacks were blunted in this way.

So MM, well done and it's on to you, again. Do your worst!!

Dean.

Last edited:
hah, what!? hehe, yayy :) lucky me .

the question:

What is the full name of the Captain who was last found holding out on one of Philippines islands. He was discovered and surrendered in the 1980's. And dont forget to mention the islands name. :)

thats easy guys.

Mindoro Island
Captain Fumio Nakahira, held out until April 1980. There were others, but as fare as I know, he was the last in the Philippines. There were some others in Thailand, IIRC.

Dean

Last edited:
I half expected you to tell me something along the lines of, "No, not him, the other guy!" Oh, well.
Here is a stumper for some, an easy one for others: Not many people know that the T-34 tank was not completely designed in Russia. It would be more truthful to say that the design was assembled in Russia. For example, the suspension was in fact a Christie suspension, designed by an American, and used on British tanks. Now, here is the question: What was the original purpose of the engine that ended up powering the T-34?

I will give clues as needed. Good luck, and Happy Holidays to all!

Dean.

OK, Clue time: It was not a land based application, but it was not for an airplane!

Merry Christmas, and Happy Chanukah to all.

Dean.

That's why this question is a little different. The engine was indeed a diesel, but it was never designed for a maritime use, although it probably would have been good for that. Another clue: At the time, it was one of the lightest engines for it's output that was available.

Dean.

To revise:
1. It was a diesel
2. It was lightweight
3. It was not designed for a land based application, either stationalry or mobile
5. It was not designed for a maritime application
6. It was not designed for an airplane.
7. And, no, MM, it was not meant for a motorcycle. (althought, I must admit I did have a good laugh over that)

Another clue: it was an airborne application, and no, it was not for an airplane.

Dean.

Last edited:
Ooooh, good guess. I must admit I never thought of that, but the engine in question saw it's first heyday in the 1920's so, no, not a helicopter.

Think Big.

Dean.

Congratulations to Damien435. The T-34 engine was a French diesel engine that was designed for use in airships. As such, it was light, powerful, relatively fuel efficient and capable of reliably operating for very long periods of time. An ideal tank engine. The Germans also used a diesel engine in the Fokke Wulf Condor long range patrol aircraft, but it was too German, too heavy, and far too complicated for a tank engine, particularly a Russian tank engine. So, on to you now, Damien. Stump us.

Dean.

When American, British and Canadian forces landed at Normandy they captured many "German" soldiers that were in fact from a small country in Asia, name their country of origin. (Don't know how hard this would be but I feel sorry for the poor chaps.)

Back