WWII Quiz

What US Navy ship fired the most rounds fired by a US Navy ship in WWII?

If we include the carriers in this, I would say USS Enterprise, but I assume you are thinking about a ship firing against other ships or on land. I am guessing you are thinking about USS San Diego

If we include the carriers in this, I would say USS Enterprise, but I assume you are thinking about a ship firing against other ships or on land. I am guessing you are thinking about USS San Diego
Nope on USS San Diego/Enterprise. Total number of rounds fired.

Hmm the USS Helena fired something like 10600 rounds before it was sunk in 1943 which at the time was a record for a US warship.

I assume we are talking rounds from main and secondary batteries and not AAA?

Last edited:
Hmm the USS Helena fired something like 10600 rounds before it was sunk in 1943 which at the time was a record for a US warship.

I assume we are talking rounds from main and secondary batteries and not AAA?
I'd say all guns.

Last edited:
I suspect there is a twist in this and the answer is something like a shore-based training facility.

However, if we are talking about actual ships I am surprised it isn't the Enterprise or New Jersey as they must have racked up a huge amount of AAA rounds alone.

I suspect there is a twist in this and the answer is something like a shore-based training facility.

However, if we are talking about actual ships I am surprised it isn't the Enterprise or New Jersey as they must have racked up a huge amount of AAA rounds alone.
It is a ship....

Well I will try some lateral thinking and go with USS Salt Lake City as it supposedly took part in the most number of engagements of any boat in the fleet (more opportunity to fire at something).

OK, rounds fired w/o stipulations on circumstances. Now the well duh moment! The Gunnery Training ship USS Wyoming!! Firing rounds all day & probably every day in the Chesapeake Bay.

Still, a few hints may encourage more responses.
I generally try not to answer the questions myself but rather offer ideas to lead anyone else reading to the answer.

But you have not stated the number of rounds. Yes, I know what Wiki says, but the USS Wyoming article, likewise, does not present a number. And if you put some study to the matter you would know that rounds expended in training are by far exceeded by those expended in action . . . can USS Wyoming beat 42,000 plus not counting 40 mm, 1.1 in, 20 mm or .50 cal rounds expended by a single ship?

I suspect the argument is that a ship firing daily in a training role over time will use more ammunition than a ship in action for maybe a few days in its career.

The number of AAA rounds used during operations against Kamikazi was phenomenal but they were not constantly in action.

I suspect the argument is that a ship firing daily in a training role over time will use more ammunition than a ship in action for maybe a few days in its career.

The number of AAA rounds used during operations against Kamikazi was phenomenal but they were not constantly in action.
That would seem to be the case, and it would be logical.

But you have not stated the number of rounds. Yes, I know what Wiki says, but the USS Wyoming article, likewise, does not present a number. And if you put some study to the matter you would know that rounds expended in training are by far exceeded by those expended in action . . . can USS Wyoming beat 42,000 plus not counting 40 mm, 1.1 in, 20 mm or .50 cal rounds expended by a single ship?

Interestingly enough it isn't just Wiki giving the title to the Wyoming as Online Congressional records also note the USS Wyoming as being the ship that "shot off more rounds than any other ship during World War 2" in a couple of places.

Anyway, perhaps someone can come up with another question.

Back