WWII Quiz

Well yes, the frame was made ​​of steel but the structure was plywood.
Let's have a new question :smile:

Ok well I will go with something simple what was the other name for Operation Fall Blau (Case Blue).

Last edited:
Well yes, the frame was made ​​of steel but the structure was plywood.
Let's have a new question :smile:

Steel instead of aluminium formed the frame or structure of the aeroplane with plywood as the skin. The Vickers Wellington had a Geodesic frame with fabric the being skin of the airframe.

Last edited:
Unavngivet.jpg

Identify this aircraft.
Name and Mark no.

Look closely, it may not be what you think it is.

I was leaning toward a Spitfire Mark XIV but some things just don't quite line up for me as the angle of the picture is deceptive.

Unfortunately I know bugger all about aircraft.

I was leaning toward a Spitfire Mark XIV but some things just don't quite line up for me as the angle of the picture is deceptive.

Unfortunately I know bugger all about aircraft.

It looks like a 3 bladed prop and the wing doesn't look like the clipped Spitfire wing, neither does the rudder look like its off a Spit.

You are probably right the wing of the C-47 in front of it was confusing me.

That being said it is in D-Day colours (so it is a 1944 model fighter) and it looked like a Griffon engine cowl, we know it isn't a Hurricane, Typhoon or Tempest due to the undercarriage.
So my extremely limited knowledge of aircraft is now almost exhausted.

Okay, it was not easy.

It is a Seafire L.Ib.

I thought you would identify it as a Spitfire LF.Mk.Vb.

The aircraft belongs to the Combined Spotting Pool. A joint RAF, RN and USN organization Providing gun-spotting during the Invasion. What is special with this unit is that it is the only one where pilots from the U.S. Navy has flown Spitfires and Seafires.

Well, new question.

What makes Captain Charles Hazlitt Upham special?

Sadly I am completely clueless when it comes to aircraft, put a Panther in front of me and I can pick the variant but I couldn't spot the difference between the Spruce Goose and an Me-163.

Many things not the least that we named a converted banana boat after him.
:)

I better sit this one out for now.

Last edited:
Sadly I am completely clueless when it comes to aircraft, put a Panther in front of me and I can pick the variant but I couldn't spot the difference between the Spruce Goose and an Me-163.
:mrgreen: I can identify a tank as a tank, and that´s it.

Ok I gave it a couple of days...
Charles Upham is one of only 3 people to have won the Victoria Cross twice and the only person to have won them as a combat soldier.

Personally I am not sure why there is a distinction though as the other two holders won theirs for actions under fire as well.

Ok I gave it a couple of days...
Charles Upham is one of only 3 people to have won the Victoria Cross twice and the only person to have won them as a combat soldier.

Personally I am not sure why there is a distinction though as the other two holders won theirs for actions under fire as well.
Yep! Right answer.

Captain Noel Godfrey Chavasse and Lieutenant Colonel Arthur Martin-Leake, who were the other two were both doctors and are therefore non-combatants. Could make the difference maybe.

Your turn :-D

Along the same lines Flying Officer Manser and Capt. Randle both won the Victoria Cross during WW2, what is unique about them.

(Sorry if it in a bit confusing but it was hard to word the question without immediately giving away the answer).

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

Along the same lines Flying Officer Manser and Capt. Randle both won the Victoria Cross during WW2, what is unique about them.

(Sorry if it in a bit confusing but it was hard to word the question without immediately giving away the answer).

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

They were related by marriage.

Back