WWI verses WWII . . .

animalhealer

I am a online student and I have to answer a History question whether WWI is the same war as WWII just continued years later or is it a different war altogether?
I am getting conflicting answers and Im not should how to answer the question Can anyone help me so I can write this assignent?
:roll:

Welcome to the forums.

World War I is a completely separate war from WWII; most of the governments of the original war had changed, from the Italian Monarchy giving power to Mussolini to the collapse of the German monarchy and the creation of the Nazi Party, to the collapse of Russia and the rise of the Soviet Union. The reasoning for WWII's start was the loss of land the Germans had thanks to the Treaty of Versailles, which had ended WWI; the Germans initially just wanted their land back. WWI's start was due to the assassination of the heir to the throne of Austria-Hungary, by a Serbian nationalist. The Austrians planned to invade Serbia, which the Russians didn't like, so they attacked the Austirans, and the Germans didnt' like it, so they attacked the Russians, and so on. But yes they were two completely different wars.
Allied Countries, WWI
USA
UK
France
Russia
Italy
Japan
Serbia
Allied Countries, WWII
USA
UK
Soviet Union
France
China
Axis Countries, WWI
Ottoman Empire
Germany
Austria-Hungary
Axis Countries, WWII
Germany
Italy
Japan
Austria
Romania
Hungary

I don't believe that WW2 was a continuation of WW1 but I WW2 was the predictable outcome of the aftermath of WW1.

I think WW2 was more the result of a post WW1 power vacuum in Eastern Europe, a harsh peace at Versailles and the great depression, all of which were fertile breeding grounds for the likes of Hitler and Stalin.

from a military poilt of view WWI and WWII were the same on the following 1 Both were wars of attrition 2 In WWI Germany was defeated by a coalition of Russia((fell of in 1917 )UK ,France and USA In ww ii Germany was defeated by a coalition of France(fell of in 1940 ),UK,Russia and the USSR

Basically the answer is yes....The Germans always felt that they were not defeated in WW1. They were bitter over the reparations they had to make especially to France. This is why the Allies were right in WW2 to inst on unconditional surrender. WW1 the Germans signed an Armistice not a total surrender.

They could of got an unconditional surrender from Germany in WW1, it probably just would of taken another 5 years and millions of lives.

The Allies had broken through the German Lines over large section of the Western Front, the famous Hindenburg line had been destroyed and the German troops were in full retreat. On the home front the Germans were starving and were also broke that is the only reason that they asked for an armistice. The whole thing could have been wrapped in weeks rather than years.

WW1 was a different war from WW2. New fighter and bomber planes developed with closed cockpits. Also WW2 had way different problems from WW1. Although WW2 kinnda started because of WW1. Newer, more advanced weaponary and ships developed. And also both wars ended for different reasons. WW1 ended with the treaty of Versailles being signed and WW2 ended with 2 atomic bombs being dropped on Japan.

The Otherguy almost had it right. WW II was the result of the failure of the Treaty of Versailles. This abortion of a Treaty caused the common strife in Post WW I Germany and many of the problems we are experiencing today. The major members of the Treaty Board; for want of a better title, wanted revenge for the war and believe me they came down on Germany. WW II can be directly associated to the Treaty.

Welcome to the forums.

World War I is a completely separate war from WWII; most of the governments of the original war had changed, from the Italian Monarchy giving power to Mussolini to the collapse of the German monarchy and the creation of the Nazi Party, to the collapse of Russia and the rise of the Soviet Union. The reasoning for WWII's start was the loss of land the Germans had thanks to the Treaty of Versailles, which had ended WWI; the Germans initially just wanted their land back. WWI's start was due to the assassination of the heir to the throne of Austria-Hungary, by a Serbian nationalist. The Austrians planned to invade Serbia, which the Russians didn't like, so they attacked the Austirans, and the Germans didnt' like it, so they attacked the Russians, and so on. But yes they were two completely different wars.
Allied Countries, WWI
USA
UK
France
Russia
Italy
Japan
Serbia
Allied Countries, WWII
USA
UK
Soviet Union
France
China
Axis Countries, WWI
Ottoman Empire
Germany
Austria-Hungary
Axis Countries, WWII
Germany
Italy
Japan
Austria
Romania
Hungary

The way we're tought in school canada did alot more then america did in ww1, in your opinion why don't we get a mention? we're the storm troopers and we were the most feared warriors on the battlefields of ww1 were we not

The way we're tought in school canada did alot more then america did in ww1, in your opinion why don't we get a mention? we're the storm troopers and we were the most feared warriors on the battlefields of ww1 were we not
Probably should have said British Empire. How'd those Ross rifles work out?

Probably should have said British Empire. How'd those Ross rifles work out?

sure our weaponry was bad at the beginning but hey who won vimy ridge? french couldnt take it brits couldnt take it americans had yet to enter the war... but who took it? us? yep:), battle of paschendale ( dont mind my horrible spelling) we tricked the germans in believing we were farther south so they sent troops to reinforce the area afraid of the "storm troopers" that speaks for itself, the way you guys are tought is that you guys came to save the day, but realisticly you still had yet to have good artillery and had no experience in this type of war and british commanders regarded you as a waste of space

edit: sorry if that offends you but im sure the way they teach you in your schools are bias to

Perhaps, but the British wanted us for cannon fodder, the same way they pissed away countless lives in futile "over the top" attacks that had no chance of accomplishing any thing of real value. We changed the game.

Well....

It can be argued that WWI was the creator for WWII however this is really their only link. There's no way they were similar. The warfare, governments, people's views everything was different.

Back