WW2 Trivia

britinafrica :

A great example of a "small unit action " that had a result far beyond what most people would expect from 10 men in folbots. A classic RM attack , still taught to current day RM recruits, as a part of their history ,

That brings me to this one...........How long in weeks is the RM basic training course for new recruits ?

Jim b. Toronto.

Many years ago I paid a visit to HMS Fearless in Singapore.I must admit I was impressed.

RM Training is 32 weeks

Brutinafrica:

In a recent BBC tv documentary, about the RM training program, it was mentioned that due to injuries while on course, the average marine takes about a year to complete the course. They have an entire company of those who are in " physical rehab " for injuries sustained on the course.

Jim B.

Brutinafrica:

In a recent BBC tv documentary, about the RM training program, it was mentioned that due to injuries while on course, the average marine takes about a year to complete the course. They have an entire company of those who are in " physical rehab " for injuries sustained on the course.

Jim B.

We use to refer to it as the "The Sick, The Lame and the Lazy."

As this thread has been quiet for a while, I thought I would throw this one in.

(1)Which civilian vessel is legally alowed the fly the Royal Navy Ensign in port, but not on the open sea?

(2)At sea they fly their own "Jack". What is that Jack called?

As this thread has been quiet for a while, I thought I would throw this one in.

(1)Which civilian vessel is legally alowed the fly the Royal Navy Ensign in port, but not on the open sea?

The Dunkirk Little Ships taken up and used during Operation Dynamo may fly the White Ensign at the jack when at anchor or in port but not at sea

(2)At sea they fly their own "Jack". What is that Jack called?

The Dunkirk Jack.

The Dunkirk Little Ships taken up and used during Operation Dynamo may fly the White Ensign at the jack when at anchor or in port but not at sea

The Dunkirk Jack.

Spot on Monty, as Michael Caine would say, "Not a lot of people know that" lol

Your turn

Which German firearm was produced by a company in UK?

These versions were eventually shipped through Holland for the Netherlands East Indies armies abroad and used against the Japanese during the invasions in the Far East during WW2.

Last edited:
Which German firearm was produced by a company in UK?

These versions were eventually shipped through Holland for the Netherlands East Indies armies abroad and used against the Japanese during the invasions in the Far East during WW2.
Hmmmm, MP-40?

Lanchester submachine gun a British copy of the MP28 SMG..... which the Royal Netherlands East Indies Army (Koninklijk Nederlands Indisch Leger, KNIL) used a number of MP28 SMGs.... so it would make sense for them to get the Brit copies of the MP28.... the Lanchester, which used brass in some non-critical places.

Only other possible weapon is a Besa machine gun.... which was a Czech designed machine gun used by British armour. It was chambered in 7.92x57mm. The standard German service cartridge of the period.

The answer I was looking for was the 9mm Parabellum P08 (often called the Luger) built up by Vickers from parts supplied pre war from Germany.

The Lanchester was a good candidate, but not the one I was looking for.

Last edited:
The answer I was looking for was the 9mm Parabellum P08 (often called the Luger) built up by Vickers from parts supplied pre war from Germany.

The Lanchester was a good candidate, but not the one I was looking for.

Ahhh.... the Vickers' Luger. I forgot about that little piece of collectible history. Rare little bastards....

:bravo:for getting me on that.

7173VickersLftAng7x.jpg

7173VickersLft7x.jpg

7173VickersTop7x.jpg

7173VickersLftPrfs7x.jpg

Last picture is of British Proof Marks

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures 5.56, I have however never ever seen one, let alone held one.

One thing I wasnt aware of was the grip safety which was discarded by the Germans but used by the Swiss.

The proof marks look like Birmingham, which are totally different to the London Proof House marks. One proof mark that looks "wrong" for Birmingham is the crown with the fancy letter "W," it looks more like a Dutch Proof Mark known as the Queen Wilhelmina proof.

Last edited:
Hadn't heard of that Luger, but was aware of the 8X57 chambered machine gun. Supposedly wanted a stronger punch, 30-06 has more punch than 8X57 & much better ammo supply, I'd think.:biggun:

Thanks for the pictures 5.56, I have however never ever seen one, let alone held one.

One thing I wasnt aware of was the grip safety which was discarded by the Germans but used by the Swiss.

The proof marks look like Birmingham, which are totally different to the London Proof House marks. One proof mark that looks "wrong" for Birmingham is the crown with the fancy letter "W," it looks more like a Dutch Proof Mark known as the Queen Wilhelmina proof.

Interestingly enough I have seen two of them for sale in the last 2 months for around $5000-$6000, unfortunately they are outside my interest range (WW2 European) or I would have picked one up.

Back