• Japan takes control of the East

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Germany beats GB then attacks USSR

• War still going on 2004

• Total voters

Rufus Excalibur

If the US had not entered the War, what would have happened and who would have won.

Could we still be at war today?

I think that it could have been a stalemate, with Russia fighting on two fronts against Germany that had advanced beyond Moscow and Japan from the East. Britain had been invaded with partial success, then the Germans repelled, but the GB government and Royal family had moved to Canada. War at sea beginning to swing in Germany's failure by 1948?

Nuclear war?

Endless possibilities for discussion

I picked Option 1 assuming that Lend Lease never happened.

Lend Lease really was critical to the outcome of the European theatre.

I think the Nazis would have won eventually. They would have beaten the Soviets due to no second front to fight on, and then could concentrate on invading Britain (if they hadn't already made peace with Germany). The war would have lasted quite a few more years I believe.

If the Japanese had invaded the USSR instead of attacking the US then an Axis victory would have been a definite thing, and Eurasia could have been theirs.

Romero said:
I think the Nazis would have won eventually. They would have beaten the Soviets due to no second front to fight on, and then could concentrate on invading Britain (if they hadn't already made peace with Germany). The war would have lasted quite a few more years I believe.

If the Japanese had invaded the USSR instead of attacking the US then an Axis victory would have been a definite thing, and Eurasia could have been theirs.

The only thing a Japanese attack into Siberia would have done was to possibly stop Zhukov's 25 Siberian Divisions being rushed to defend the Moscow region in late '41, so from that perspective yes it might have altered the outcome of the European theatre. However, any Japanese attack into Siberia would quickly have been repulsed and destroyed by the Red Army. The Imperial Japanese Army did not have the armor to combat the T-34 nor the necessary heavy AT guns. Plus there is the small matter of logistics fighting in that part of the world.

If the war hadn't ended when it did Germany would have gotten nukes... Enough said.

The war wouldn't have ended when it did if it weren't for the U.S.A

One thing that must be clarrified for the poll is that the USA never entered the war. They were forced into it by Pearl habour. Even then until Germany declared war against the USA on Dec 10 1941 must to the German high commands discust the USA still wasn't going to fight Germany in total war.
The main involvement and the only real telling blow the US and British forces made on the German war machine was the industrial bombing of the reich. The war would have ended regardless of D day or not albeit later. by June 1944 the USSR had Germany on the run by sheer weight of numbers the USSR still would have won. I know that the history books state teh Battle of the Bulge as a great US and Allied victory but the plan was flawed and once the 6 to 10 bridges were blown the offensive was doomed. Did the battle of the Bulge win the war No it was already won it just shortened it.
It is almost impossible to speculate the question seriously
US and Allied bombing was our main contibution to the war effort I believe. By no means am I taking away the outstanding sacrifice made by all allied troops be it US , British, Canadian,Austrailan etc but our roll in the land war was secondary

lots of good points made. but i think if it wasn't for the US then the english and french would still be speaking german today :)

i think it would have been a lot different when the germans acquired their nuclear capability and used it on whoever they wanted. eventually we would have been forced into the war anyway, but the sooner the better. sure the soviets had the numbers, but if germany had nucs numbers wouldn't have made much of a difference.

What if the Nazis had developed the bomb earlier and had actually nuked New York as was planned, to keep the US out of the war?

And another thing, egoz, it wasn't just England fighting for Britain you know. All the British countries fought.

The nazi political structure would have fallen apart way before the invasion of Britain (which wouldnt of been posible anyway) the Nazi government already during the war had conflicting interests and lack of belief in eachother for instance the 2 most powerful men the the fuhrer Hermann Goering and Himmler had very conflicting interests and were on the brink of major arguements all the time. I think a civil war would have broken out and more assassination attemps of top Nazis and Hitler himself would have taken place. I think from the beginning Russia could of been defeated by 1946-7 Britain would conserve her resources and hold the United Kingdom but possibly loosing some eastern empire to Japan. Italy would have a state of civil war by anti fascist etc activists sooner than Germany due to its poor conditions and idiotic politicians probably around 1950 or so. Germany I believe would of had anti German and anti Nazi/fascist groups especially from countries such as France and other conquered countries in Europe plus British assassination atempts etc. Germany would have probably been under civil unrest leading to civil war by 1957-8 Hitler getting old and vulnerable and getting increasingly shaken by assassination attempts may be killed more easily by an assassination. So there you have it a unrestful European war with many factions fighting against eachother.

Oh and 1 other thing, the German nuclear programme although they were thinking sort of on the right track the way they were doing it would have taken a tremendous amount of time their understanding of Nuclear Fision etc was not entirely correct, they would have got the bomb yes but Britain was well on the way of getting it before the Reich

egoz said:
lots of good points made. but i think if it wasn't for the US then the english and french would still be speaking german today :)

If they wouldn't be speaking German, then they'd be speaking Russian instead.

Doppleganger said:
egoz said:

No reason to speak Russian if Russia weren't around. ;)

battery said:
Doppleganger said:
egoz said:

No reason to speak Russian if Russia weren't around. ;)

Well like I said earlier. If no Lend-Lease German. If Lend-Lease then German or Russian.

What if Britain had not entered the war or had allied with Germany, and indeed renewed their alliance with the japanese? It would not have mattered if the US had tried to intervene.

It depends on nuclear. Would anybody have nuclear bombs by 45 if US stayed out of the war?

Without nuclear, I think Germany finally should have been overrunned by Soviet Union, maybe in 46-47. Japan could never have opened a second front with any importent gains (due to logistics and poor equipment as someone mentioned).

Kick_in_the_eye said:
It depends on nuclear. Would anybody have nuclear bombs by 45 if US stayed out of the war?

Without nuclear, I think Germany finally should have been overrunned by Soviet Union, maybe in 46-47. Japan could never have opened a second front with any importent gains (due to logistics and poor equipment as someone mentioned).

if i'm understanding your statement right...
then germany would have had nucs before the US since the US wouldn't have entered the war at all. if the Nazi had nucs who knows what could have happened. i can tell you this much, the Soviets would have lost a hell of a lot more people if the Nazis decided to use those new found toys of theirs. as for other allied loses, the numbers would have sky rocketed and the allies probably would have lost.

I can say one thing if the yanks didn't enter WWII, Australia would have either been invaded by the Japanese, or destroyed itself preventing an invasion. We could put up a strong of a fight, but we had a population of some 5-6 million in 1941 when Peral Harbour was bombed, so without US entry, we would definatly been defeated

egoz,

Yes, if US stayed out of the war, what priority would the development of a nuclear bomb have? Eventually of course, some nation would have it. And yes, it would have been a nightmare if Germany was first. But this is speculations... I generally feel that nuclear takes the "fun" out of all "what if"-scenarios - it's a too powerful weapon.

Bory,

I'm not entierly sure of that... Japan had plans on an invasion of Australia, but they canceled it as the operation grew to big, and they needed their forces elsewhere. The project suffered from huge logistic problems as they needed to set many men on the ground in a short period of time, and to keep them in supply. Australia may have lacked in quantity, but their quality was fairly good, so the japanese knew they would need numbers to be succsessful.

But with nothing better to do, yes, they might have tried.

Back