WW2 German m35 helmet question

chrisc

I bought an original WW2 m35 helmet with serial number, does anyone know how or if you can track the number to see where the helemet was manufactured?
Any help greatly appreciated.

I bought an original WW2 m35 helmet with serial number, does anyone know how or if you can track the number to see where the helemet was manufactured?
Any help greatly appreciated.

I have a list of German manufacturer codes from WW2, if you give me the code I might be able to help you.

At first the codes were letters and numbers, after 1941 the number code was changed to letters.

Albeit the list is not complete. Some codes are listed as unknown.

Last edited:
That would be great. Is it the number on the (middle) back of helmet or the one on the side that you need?

I found the number, it is either(T1072)or(ET072) it is hard to see because of light rusting.

The code ET Gives the manufacturer as Eisenhüttenwerke. I'm not sure what the numbers designate, perhaps a batch number. The T code would be Dynamit AG , Troisdorf plant.

Eisenhüttenwerke were later (after 1941) given the designation code ckl

You can remove light rusting without doing damage simply by use a light oil, and fine wire (steel)wool. Coat the rust with the light oil and using the wire wool, gently rub away the rust. Wipe with a cloth and the rust should be removed.

I use this method on firearms that have slightly rusted without doing damage to the rest of the blueing.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the numbers are size in centimeters ie the helmet has a 72cm shell size.

However it is that aspect of it that makes it worth looking into further as most sources claim that few helmets were ever made larger than 70cm which would mean that it is custom made for a very fat headed German.

My understanding is that the numbers are size in centimeters ie the helmet has a 72cm shell size.

However it is that aspect of it that makes it worth looking into further as most sources claim that few helmets were ever made larger than 70cm which would mean that it is custom made for a very fat headed German.

I'm sitting on my hands.

Tanks for all the help! From what i can tell it looks like the letter code is just (T). I also think I found the size, There is a seperate number on the right side (068): i'm assuming that would be the size.
Thanks again

Interesting to see how many of these helmets are so readily available everywhere. It's been sixty-four years since the end of combat operations and yet, original uniform parts can still be readily bought.

I had a couple of the Spanish pattern helmets on the shelf, although they look like the German pattern, careful examination shows a quite few differences.

Back