WW11 Top-Sergeant Sheets, thank you.

Del Boy

I have posted before here of the days of my evacuation to Somerset in WW11; age 4-9; I have mentioned the US units stationed there, my friendship with the soldiers and my undying gratitude for their efforts on behalf of England and kids like me; it amounted to our salvation.

Well, as I have mentioned, at about 6/7 years o0ld, I would tuck a folded copy of the previous day's Daily Express under my arm and head off up the road about a mile and report to the sentry on duty; he would notify the authorities and I would then make my way up through the camp to the mess, and present the Mess Sergeant with the newspaper; he would then sit me down in the mess and feed me. A little tomato juice, peanut butter, or fruit salad etc. things I had never seen or dreamed of, my experience having been of severe rationing only.

Through me, he used to visit the family I lived with. Then his unit moved on, the war continued; life went on, and I never even ever knew his name!
That was until Xmas Eve this year 2009, almost 70 years later, when I was told by a member of the family, who was in the RAF in WW11, and who I caught up with again this year, that the Mess Sergeant who befriended me was US Top-Sergeant Sheets , at Maunsell House camp, Somerset. I am posting this here for the record and with my thanks. God Bless Him. :bravo:

Last edited:
Funny old world, Sevens, isn't it. Full of twists and turns. The older I get, the more exciting it seems to me.

This is a military forum; what if someone with a connection to Sergeant Sheets found our link, how surprising would that be?

Just dreaming, but it is what dreams are made of.:)

Del Boy, it would certainly be amazing if a family member of your First Sergeant Sheets would find your post. There is always hope. In any event, it is a wonderful story.

Del Boy, it would certainly be amazing if a family member of your First Sergeant Sheets would find your post. There is always hope. In any event, it is a wonderful story.

Thanks DTop. All completely factual to my best knowledge. During WW11 the family I was evacuated with lived on a small farm, wheatfield, orchard, hens, geese, a few pigs, vegetable gardens, cider apples and cider; right in the centre of the village. I was the only kid but never without the family dog; If they wanted me, they just looked for the dog. My foster- grandfather, so to speak, was the village carpenter, blacksmith etc. and sometimes I helped him with building wagons, and bending coffins. The children of he and his wife were all grown up, and the youngest was in the RAF, a young uncle to me whenever he was home on leave(not often). He and I met again this year and so on Xmas Eve this year 2009 I telephoned him with best wishes. He is approx. 95 years of age, bright as a button, a memory perhaps even better than mine, which is considerable; he still plays the organ in that little ancient village church, as he did in the past whenever home.

Anyway, we got to exchanging memories of WW11 and the subject of the US troops and my friend cropped up, and right out of the blue, he said " Yes, his name was Sgt Sheets as I remember, my sister told me at the time".

You could have knocked me over with a feather; as a kid, his name had never occurred to me, even when I first turned up and he wheeled me in officially to present myself to the Commanding Officer, who gave me a grilling:wink: and then gave me clearance. In all these years, I never thought to need a name for him;but all that changed as soon as I was given that news.

Last year, one of the family passed away at 98 ( to me in WW11 she was Aunt ). Even after all those years, my wife and I travelled down, and the little church was packed. When I found myself in the family pew at the front, I felt embarrassed , almost like an intruder, and I said as much; nonsense, they insisted, you ARE family!

WW11 - US intervention - a tiny village known in the 19th century as 'The Garden of Eden' because of the great number of market-gardeners there(they didn't know that until I told them! I dug it up from somewhere) - that has been my rock, my foundation throughout life, and it has served me well, in great times and tough times. (In my drinking years with the guys my party- piece was always 'Buddy, can you spare a Dime', on request - I have been able to relate closely to that from time to time!

Now it seems that Sergeant Sheets takes his place in that rich tapestry. If I receive any confirmation, I will ensure that is recorded with and by the village.:salute2:

Last edited:
Great story, Del Boy. And it's amazing just how small a world it is, especially within the military.

Great story, Del Boy. And it's amazing just how small a world it is, especially within the military.

Thank you AF Steliga, I appreciate your comment. I hesitated before posting it, for fear of offending on any score; I am glad I went ahead.

As it happens, Cpl, the first unit we had at that camp were Canadians - I had never seen anything like it - live soldiers in our midst - we treated them like rock stars are treated now, us little kids. When they left, the US arrived, segregated of course. After they left, a black US unit arrived.

Thanks again. Nice to see these guys remembered and recorded.:tank:

Back