WW II German Decoy Story

Mark Conley

This story from military history was collected on the military site at www.snopes.com , one of my favorite urban legend sources in the whole world. While the story has been repeatedly de-bunked as not being truthful, it was just to good to let go...

Reit, 1980]
Another enemy decoy, built in occupied Holland, let to a tale that has been told and retold every since by veteran Allied pilots. The German "airfield," constructed with meticulous care, was made almost entirely of wood. There were wooden hangers, oil tanks, gun emplacements, trucks, and aircraft. The Germans took so long in building their wooden decoy that Allied photo experts had more than enough time to observe and report it.

The day finally came when the decoy was finished, down to the last wooden plank. And early the following morning a lone RAF plane crossed the Channel, came in low, circled the field once, and dropped a large wooden bomb.

:D

That's not true?! Geez, Mark, why'd you have to go and tell me that, I've believed that story for years now (seriously). :lol:

fantastic :D,
just like the story of an RAF pilot who flew his jump jet into action and took out a whole bunch of enemy troops, his commander then contacted the enemy's HQ and asked if they would like some more hot sauce or would they like to surrender :) they opted for the later :D

This story from military history was collected on the military site at www.snopes.com , one of my favorite urban legend sources in the whole world. While the story has been repeatedly de-bunked as not being truthful, it was just to good to let go...

Reit, 1980]
Another enemy decoy, built in occupied Holland, let to a tale that has been told and retold every since by veteran Allied pilots. The German "airfield," constructed with meticulous care, was made almost entirely of wood. There were wooden hangers, oil tanks, gun emplacements, trucks, and aircraft. The Germans took so long in building their wooden decoy that Allied photo experts had more than enough time to observe and report it.

The day finally came when the decoy was finished, down to the last wooden plank. And early the following morning a lone RAF plane crossed the Channel, came in low, circled the field once, and dropped a large wooden bomb.

:D
Ha. I hope that's true.

Back