Wounded Soldier Makes Comeback With Help From Extraordinary Friend

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
NBC
August 13, 2008
NBC Nightly News, 7:00 PM
BRIAN WILLIAMS: But meanwhile, back home in the States, far from this world stage, there is a young American pushing himself to the limits after a huge sacrifice, making the comeback of his life with some help from an extraordinary friend.
NBC’s Bob Faw has his story.
BOB FAW: Horribly injured in Iraq where a homemade bomb caused him both legs, one arm and his hearing, 25-year-old Luis Rosa-Valentin is fighting back.
LUIS ROSA-VALENTIN [U.S. Army]: What is handicapped, you know? Is it to sit back and feel sorry for yourself? Because if that’s what handicapped is, then count me out.
FAW: Determined as he is measured for an artificial arm –
ROSA-VALENTIN: When I see this hand move, I feel, like, I can do this.
FAW: – or when learning how to walk again on artificial legs –
WOMAN: Well, let’s try the bars first.
ROSA-VALENTIN: Okay.
FAW: – determined to live his new life fully.
ROSA-VALENTIN: There is nothing you can’t do – nothing. Sky-diving is definitely number one on my list.
FAW: He’s road back his grueling, but at every juncture is his best friend from high school, Josh Hubbell, who shows up every day writing questions for his deaf buddy, assisting in therapy, doing not just what friends do –
ROSA-VALENTIN: Yes! Oh, that’s what I’m talking about.
FAW: – but doing whatever’s necessary.
JOSH HUBBELL [Luis’ Best Friend]: He’s given up so much for this country, it’s the least I can do. And he’s helped me through a lot of my problems, so why not?
FAW: For Luis’ mother, Josh is more than just family.
LILLIAM ROSA [Luis’ Mother]: He’s my angel. I call him my angel.
FAW: Ultimately though, it’s up to Luis. And when technicians in Walter Reed say we give these guys the tools and they do all the work, Louis says, bring it on.
ROSA-VALENTIN: Life is meant to be lived. It isn’t meant to be saved, so just go out, do it.
FAW: At this, the so-called home of warrior care, a soldier living up to the motto on his shirt, “One who overcomes against all odds,” in this case, with a little help from an angel.
Bob Faw, NBC News, Washington.

Back