Would Roosevelt have dropped the bomb?

Hmmm.........A dirty bomb was planned to be dropped on America, and the way of delivering it had already been worked out.
No, and no.
While this scenario is much beloved by conspiracy fans there is no evidence that anything like that was actually planned

German scientist were on the sub on their way to Japan to help them make it.
If this was the case why didn't the German's make any 'Dirty' bombs, the Nazi's were not noted for their humanity.
Also, there were no nuclear scientists on board. There was an expert on the manufacture of synthetic fuels on board though

Also Redcoat said that this material was not radio active enough to make a dirty bomb, yet it was sealed in lead containers and carried on the outside of the submarine. The workers in the Navy port where the submarine was taken refused to unload this part of the cargo and the German were made to unload this radioactive material.
All radioactive material is a long term health hazard and should be treated with care, however short term exposure to low grade radioactive material is not a great health hazard. If it was used as part of a conventional bomb the authorities would have plenty of time to clear any radioactive material up before it became a health risk.

This material was then used to help make Americas second atom bomb.
If it was (there is little evidence it was), it would have had to be processed through an atomic reactor before it was suitable to use.

In fact America had a very lucky escape and if the war had gone on for just a few more weeks things could have been very different.
Sorry, but that's just a myth.

ps, modern article on the dangers of 'dirty' bombs

http://www.heritage.org/Research/HomelandSecurity/bg1723.cfm

Last edited:
Why was the the Radio Active material being shipped to Japan, the Japanese had two or three sea plane carrying submarines standing by while they awaited the arrival of this material, these were the biggest subs ever built during WW2.
Why did the Germans not attack Britain with this material well those in charge of our war effort were very worried about every V2 that came over as they thought it might just be carrying this Radio Active Material

Why was the the Radio Active material being shipped to Japan, the Japanese had two or three sea plane carrying submarines standing by while they awaited the arrival of this material, these were the biggest subs ever built during WW2.
The plane they carried was the Yokosuka E14Y1 a two seater reconnaissance aircraft. If the second crew member was left behind, the aircraft could still only carry a maximum of two 80kg bombs.

Seeing that it was intended as a one way mission then they would not have needed a two man crew, also they would have cut down the on the weight of fuel the plane would have been carring. A air exploded bomb would have scattered radio active material over quite a distance cuasing death and injuries to thousands of people if dropped in the right spot.

I have no doubt that FDR would have used the bombs and I think that it was the completely right move. The war had been going on for years at this point and the death toll was in the millions. This was the only way to quickly and completely end it. I also agree that the targets had to be 'in the open' so everyone could see have devastating the bomb truly was.

I think some of you guys are giving the Japanese and even Americans far too much credit for knowing what really was not known.

I don't care who said that the Japanese were THAT knowledgeable about radioactivity, or even America- it wasn't so. No one really understood the health concerns.

And if you can prove that the US government knew that early in the game, you just opened a can of worms no one can shut. Do a Google on the "Downwinders". If you can prove that the government knew how deadly radioactivity was, then you can prove the corporates did as well. You know, like the watch factories back in Connecticut, women putting tritium on wath hands and faces. Getting tongue cancer (and other illnesses). The initial phases of long distance radar warning systems. Man, if you can prove that, you can prove malicious intent on behalf of the USG.

Come on, you said you can prove it. So prove it. There's a lot of innocent people out there that have been hurt beyond any imaginable comparison by nuclear technology. Forget national interests. Can you stand by while watching innocent people suffer terribly because of the ruthless greed of the government? Maybe you can, but I can't.

Personally, I don't think you can prove it. No such proof exists. You cannot prove something that simply did not exist.

Does it really matter that civilians were killed or injured by radioactivity, if that had not killed them then they would have been killed or maimed by bombs, shells napalm and a dozen other things. Lets get things into prospective, more Japanese Japanese died and were maimed in American incendiary raids on their major cities than were killed by the Atom bombs. I can't understand why all this wringing of hands is going on, the bombs saved about million allied casualties and many more Japanese were saved by the dropping of the the Bomb which ended the war

Does it really matter that civilians were killed or injured by radioactivity, if that had not killed them then they would have been killed or maimed by bombs, shells napalm and a dozen other things. Lets get things into prospective, more Japanese Japanese died and were maimed in American incendiary raids on their major cities than were killed by the Atom bombs. I can't understand why all this wringing of hands is going on, the bombs saved about million allied casualties and many more Japanese were saved by the dropping of the the Bomb which ended the war

I absolutely agree!

Back