Would you like to shoot somebody?

Would you like to shoot someone?

• yes

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • no

Votes: 20 57.1%

• Total voters

Ted

After reading thousands of post over the last three years I finally came to the conclusion that some truely believe in the power of carrying a gun. It would bring peace, prosperity, equality amongst men and so much more. The wide spread understanding for shooting at somebody who has some mischief in mind leaves me flabbergasted. The slightest deliquent behaviour should be answered with overwhelming firepower, and the perpetrator dead in a pool of blood.

Slowely the idea grew in my mind that some of you really are looking forward to that stranger on your lawn, so you can shoot him/ her on the spot. Hence my question. Whom of you secretly fantasizes about shooting somebody? It goes without saying that this would be done purely out of self defence...

I don't think that this is a legitimate question. Any one who answered Yes, would have to be a certifiable lunatic.

There may be misguided persons who think they would like to shoot someone, but I dare say 99.9% of them would back down if the chance came along. Or, there are people who might well shoot someone in the heat of the moment, or if backed into a corner in fear of their life, and i have no doubt that many of them would suffer some remorse after the event.

Would I LIKE to shoot somebody, no. If it`s a situation, you or me, I`m picking me. I`ll be most likely Infantry, and unfortunately, there`s a chance I`ll have to make such a decision.

But the ease with which some talk about it, would suggest they wouldn't hesitate. Better yet, I sometimes have the feeling they are acking for it. But this is purely my thought when reading some posts.....

Just to be sure: I am not targeting anybody specifically or judging someone to be a certifiable nutcase (read psychopath)!

Would I like to shot someone? No.... but I am prepared to do so if I have to.

The act of taking a human life is a horrible event in one's life. It will emotionally shatter you.

Now do I believe that citizens should have the right to arm themselves for self defense? Yes....

A warrior during peace trains for war and during war fights for peace. I would rather not be needed as a soldier and as a police officer. I would rather live in a society in which simply owning arms is for sport and not self defense. But sadly that is not the case.

It comes down to if they wish to take on the responsibility of having both the ability to take a life and to defend a human life. If you are willing to own and carry a firearm; you must be willing and able to use it. Using it in self defense is stopping your aggressor. That means you shot to kill. Not shot to wound. Wounded aggressors can still fight back. It's the same in war, the same on the streets as a police officer, and the same as a legal gun owner at home.

Honestly, there are several people on earth at the present time that I would like to shoot. However I either have no capability to do so (i.e. Osama Bin Laden) or no wish to spend the rest of my life in prison.

There are certainly people who I think deserve to be shot.

...enjoying shooting them and wanting to shoot them are two different things to me. I would never enjoy shooting someone.

The answer is yes, every time I watch the news or drive on the open road I find hundreds of people I would like to shoot, however the desire to start blasting away is more than offset by the consequences of doing so.

I guess it is with human nature, that someone is at least curious what it's like to shoot somebody and if you train with a weapon every day that curiosity is even bigger BUT who truly wants to shoot someone is ill or at least missled...

There are certainly people who I think deserve to be shot.

...enjoying shooting them and wanting to shoot them are two different things to me. I would never enjoy shooting someone.
I would even go so far as to say that I would enjoy watching certain persons die at my hands. But, the consequences aren't worth it. One individual for the sake of the rest of us.

One individual, in particular, I would remove for the sake of the rest of us. I'm kinda scared of a Columbine-esqe scene out of this kid, who is unstable, violent, but just hasn't completely snapped yet.

yes

:2guns:There are plenty of bad around the world. :sniper:I would not hesitate to end their existence in this world.:bravo:

Anyone who actually would like to shoot someone needs their head read. I wonder of those who answered yes, actually did so.

I had two incidents here in South Africa where I was in a position where I “could” have shot someone.

Firstly I stopped an attack on my person by producing my 45 and warned my would be attacker I will shoot him if he doesn't stop. Thankfully it stopped the attack in its tracks.

Secondly, my next door neighbours house had been broken in so many times she cannot get insurance cover. She is a young widow with a young daughter, ideal targets for the rapists, murderers and thieves blighting South Africa at present.

I was at home one day during a week day sorting out paperwork, I heard a commotion in the back yard, I ran out to see two youths climbing over my garden wall. I presented my weapon and ordered them to stop and lay on the ground, they did so. A few minutes later a policeman climbed over my wall and searched the suspects, both were found to be armed with a knife, the blade around 6 inches in length. The youths were arrested and taken away. My neighbour never had another burglary again.

Now the question is, “Would I have shot in both incidents if I had to?” The answer is yes, “Would I like to have shot?” The answer is a definite “NO”

I am talking as a civilian in a crime ridden country, not as a soldier up at the sharp end. Myself and many thousands of others in South Africa who carry a firearm for self defence have the mindset, “I will shoot if I have to, and that if your self defence firearm is in your hands, you had better be prepared to use it.” I have never agreed with the terms “Shoot to kill” or “Shoot to wound,” as a civilian one shoots to stop the attacker(s), if that means one shot or emptying the magazine and doing a mag change, one shoots until the threat is over.

I hope to God I will never have to shoot anyone, but if I do I wont like it one little bit, but I wont lose any sleep if I did. If criminals leave me and mine alone, then I will leave them alone, but once they target me and my family I will use everything at my disposal to stop the threat, including deadly force.

In both incidents I never had to fire a shot, thank God,

Last edited:
I read two general grounds on which others can be shot: self defence or being "bad". Eventhough I think I can see the lines between right or wrong, I'll still ask you the following:
* Who decides when someone is "bad" and can be shot without any constraints?
* When is self defence actual self defence? Is preemptively shooting someone still self defence? The way I see it self defence can be very near to self offence and there is a vast distance between the two.

I read two general grounds on which others can be shot: self defence or being "bad". Eventhough I think I can see the lines between right or wrong, I'll still ask you the following:
* Who decides when someone is "bad" and can be shot without any constraints?
* When is self defence actual self defence? Is preemptively shooting someone still self defence? The way I see it self defence can be very near to self offence and there is a vast distance between the two.

In South Africa the law is clear, one may only shoot if your or other innocent victims life is in danger. If one witness's a murder and the assailant runs away, it is illegal to shoot as the threat is no longer there.

Honestly, there are several people on earth at the present time that I would like to shoot. However I either have no capability to do so (i.e. Osama Bin Laden) or no wish to spend the rest of my life in prison.

You shoot Binladen I'm sure you won't get put in prision, I think you'd be on the recieveing end of a medal.

You shoot Binladen I'm sure you won't get put in prision, I think you'd be on the recieveing end of a medal.

That and what was it... $24.000.000 or so.

But these are the obvious things/ targets. Would you shoot Hitler, sure. But I still think that some here secretly desire to use their guns as long as it is done anonimous and the chance of being caught is zero....

Back