Would the Invasion of Japan Worked? - Page 4

--

October 9th, 2007  
LeEnfield

It is only to easy to say that Japanese factories had been bombed and that US submarines were playing havoc with their trade. If the Japanese did not surrender after the first atom bomb, then it would appear that there was a hard core of the military who were only to ready to fight to the bitter end. Even after the second atom bomb had been dropped there was no great rush to surrender and there was even moves afoot of a military take over to keep the war going. So dropping the bomb saved far more lives than were lost in the Atomic explosions. Lets face it the Japanese lost more lives in Lee-Mays fire storms than were lost by the Atomic bomb.
October 9th, 2007  
The Other Guy

True, but with many bombs and airplanes.

There's just something demoralizing about getting beat up by one plane.
October 9th, 2007  
Josh678

Yea but what you forget is that an Atom bomb obilterates in one explosion so that wouldn't be demoralizing compared to a fire bomb which creates fires my point is with a firebombing you watch the building being destroyed.My point is a Atom bomb wouldn't have demoralized them as much as the helplessness they felt when they were being fire bombed.
--
October 9th, 2007  
The Other Guy

Point taken.
October 10th, 2007  
perseus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh678
Yea but what you forget is that an Atom bomb obilterates in one explosion so that wouldn't be demoralizing compared to a fire bomb which creates fires my point is with a firebombing you watch the building being destroyed.My point is a Atom bomb wouldn't have demoralized them as much as the helplessness they felt when they were being fire bombed.
This is a simplistic view of nuclear weapons. Hiroshima or Nagasaki wasn't totally destroyed. True, at ground zero everyone would suffer a quick death, but several miles out buildings would burn just as in a conventional bomb or fire-bombing attack and some people would temporarily survive. Further out still people and buildings survived intact. Moreover the flash and mushroom cloud must have been visible for perhaps a hundred miles weather prevailing.

This must have been devastating for the moral of most people in the vicinity which would have survived to see its effects.
October 12th, 2007  
Josh678

point taken