Would the Invasion of Japan Worked? - Page 2

--

October 10th, 2005  
Navy Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox
I'm not sure it would works. Beacause Japaneses promise that they would fight to die without give up or captured. I think Russians would invade north Japan and Allies would invade south Japan. But I heard they parpered to invade Tokyo bay without make of Atomic bomb.
Is that true?
October 10th, 2005  
Fox

I think so. They want to invaded Tokyo bay. They want to search Gen. Tojo or other generals.
October 10th, 2005  
Springfield

It would have been very hard to win the war without the atomic bomb. As LeEnfield said they would throw every single person out there to fight, it would be hard. Even though most of the civilians don't even know how to fight, we could be out numbered. But I still think in the end, the Allies still would have won. They had too much power after Germany surrendered.
--
October 11th, 2005  
mmarsh

I just finished SAMURAI! by Saburo Sakai. Sakai is one of the very few Japananse aces (63 Kills) to have survived the war. In the last months of the war, he is stationed as a test pilot in Japan. One of the things he mentions is that by summer 1945 the Japanese on the homeland were so badly demoralized due to military setbacks, food shortages, the destruction of their cities that he strongly doubted that there could have been any real resistence. Most of the people left were civilians not soldiers, the army at that point was at near total collapse...

Now of course the was no way the War Department would have known this even if it were true...
October 12th, 2005  
Fox

^^ That's interesting me.
October 13th, 2005  
Desert fox

one of the largest reasons why truman droped the bomb on japan was to save American and Japanese lives. Japan had an army of 1 million strong and truman knew they would fight till the last man
October 13th, 2005  
Desert fox

Does any one know that adolf hittler wanted to be an artist as his career.
October 13th, 2005  
Springfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert fox
Does any one know that adolf hittler wanted to be an artist as his career.
November 8th, 2005  
CIkari17

I'm of Japanese decent, and I think dropping the bombs was 110% the right thing to do. As previously stated I believe an invasion of the mainland would have worked but at much to high a cost to both sides. Even though the majority of the civilian population wasn't trained to fight, you can bet that almost all of them would have. One can only imagine the level of insurgency. But above all else (as selfish as it might be) those bombs saved at least a million American lives. We lost way to many good men in that Damn war as it is (and may they all R.I.P. true HEROS each and every one).
November 9th, 2005  
MightyMacbeth

I think the atomic bomb was necessary to halt the Japanese and to make them think otherwise. In fact, the Japanese were already demoralized and are close to nothing. Land forces having dramatic shortages and are getting sicker. Fly boys are mere recruits compared to the pilots who joined before and at the begining of the war. Saburo Sakai is an interesting figure. Imagine if all the pilots were like him. Anyways, there were many factors that disheartened the Japanese, and the Japan at the begining of the war, was not like the Japan at the last years of it. With the atomic bomb.......the Japanese empire was no more. As a matter of fact, some of the Japanese generals wanted to continue the war, but the emperor (Emperor "Showa" Hirohito) refused, and desided to surrender. Some of the other generals committed suicide.
Also, one guy named Kenji Hatanaka planned to stop the emperors surrender speech and to make the Japanese to fight on...his mission was mostly successfull , but failed..

8)