Would Hitler Have Succeded if... - Page 4

--

June 12th, 2004  
Gunner13

Quote:
Voting for Hitler in 1933 didn't make make anyone a Nazi as we know them, people back then couldn't have known what Adolf was going to do.
I disagree ! All you had to do was read Mein Kampf (I have and it was not easy to do), as his whole plan is pretty much there in black and white. No interpretation or decoding is needed, so the average German should have know what Hitler intended right from the start.

1 million Germans voted against him, so it is very right to say that not all Germans, or German Soldiers, were Nazis by any stretch. However, the characterization of Hitler, the Nazis and the Nazi Party as evil is 100% correct and we are well rid of all of them. The same things goes for Joseph Stalin and his bunch of murderous thugs.
June 12th, 2004  
VEK

i got jailed for 3 months for assaulting a well-known Nazi around my area.....when i was in the slammer, the inmates were treating me like a saint, giving me stuff and trying to be my friend, etc, mainly because the guy is a known paedophile as well. now i wish i'd given him some GBH...
June 12th, 2004  
Mark Conley

well...in my book, there really isnt anything wrong with assaulting a self proclaimed NAZI...your only problem was that you did it obviously in front of witnesses...

1. Dont do that anymore.

2. Strange how them guys that join that type of organization seem to have a little screw loose in some area...pedaphile...racist...hatemonger...backyard sadist..ect. I think the Devil knows his children..and pied pipers them to him. Must be that black uniform.
--
June 12th, 2004  
VEK

it's alright, he got 4 years, because he taunted me about my serb grandfather and how his "forefathers" should have finished my grampa off. i had to be restrained by 5 men in a pub. i hope he DIES.
June 12th, 2004  
Mark Conley

well lets see...

a person that is a nazi and a pedophile in prison ...well when they let him out of protective custody...let us know.

Personally, thats not a downside. the prison population will adjust for the empty seat at the table...
June 13th, 2004  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
The problem in the USSR was that Hitler ordered the most advanced units to stop, turn around, and round up 300,000 defeated Russian soldiers, this cause a delay in the advance on Moscow and most likely ended up costing Germany the war, or just made it last longer, I firmly believe that the US and Britain alone could have defeated Germany, since Germany's only threat to the US was their navy, and Russia did not have much of a Navy after the Russo-Japano war, so Russia was not helping much, the US handled Japan while helping Britain with Germany, so even if Germany had conquered Russia they did not have a practical way to invade Britain since Britain had established air superiority and their navy was no match for the Royal Navy and the US Navy.
Heya Damien435. What you described was Hitler's delay of Operation Typhoon (the drive on Moscow) to first secure the Ukraine and it's capital Kiev. It delayed the Moscow offensive by nearly 6 weeks and so yeah, it had a big impact. However, there's a school of thought that Hitler was at least partially justified in what he did. Had Hitler not taken Kiew and the Ukraine, there was a danger that Army Group Centre would have been outflanked on it's right by those same Kiev forces, which numbered well over half a million men. Whether that would have happened or not who can say.

Also, the RAF only gained air superiority in the Battle of Britain because the Luftwaffe allowed them to. It's common knowledge that the RAF was almost at breaking point when Hitler made the decision to switch to bombing civilian targets. Had Germany defated Russia, their greater industrial might and technology would have seen them gain the upper hand against the UK and invasion would just have been a matter of time.

There isn't any way the UK and US could have defeated Germany by themselves, least not in the short term. And if Germany had occupied the UK bang goes the UK 'aircraft carrier' strategy. It would have been very difficult for the US to launch any kind of amphibious assault of mainland Europe ala D-Day.

Regards.
June 13th, 2004  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner13
Quote:
Voting for Hitler in 1933 didn't make make anyone a Nazi as we know them, people back then couldn't have known what Adolf was going to do.
I disagree ! All you had to do was read Mein Kampf (I have and it was not easy to do), as his whole plan is pretty much there in black and white. No interpretation or decoding is needed, so the average German should have know what Hitler intended right from the start.
Not everyone had read it, and you can't hold that against them. In retrospect it's easy to say they should have known, but it just isn't that easy in real life.
June 13th, 2004  
Gunner13

I must disagree again here - this goes to checking out the guy your are voting for and knowing who, or what, you are putting into power. Real life participation in a democracy, as well as common sense, demands this.
June 13th, 2004  
Rotty261

Although I suppose back then it might have been possible for an individual to fool the public about their intentions upon taking office. No way that could happen today, some magazine or something would have Hitlers friends squeeling like pigs for some amount of money, if he were running for office now.

But I still think that most Germans that voted for Hitler had to have some kind of idea of his past, or did his past not ever show any wrong doing. I for one do not know, I have not spent much time studying Hitler or his time before or after taking office.

But to the original question, I think Hitler failed by trying to run a war on two different fronts and spread his resources to thin. I don't think the targets that were being bombed were even a factor in the loss....
June 13th, 2004  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
And if Germany had occupied the UK bang goes the UK 'aircraft carrier' strategy. It would have been very difficult for the US to launch any kind of amphibious assault of mainland Europe ala D-Day.
Who says the US would have invaded? I really don't think the US would have bothered with Germany anymore if they had conquered Russia and the UK. We really did not want anything to do with Germany, ok, some Americans, most notably Roosevelt, wanted to get in on the allies side as soon as possible but without Germany declaring war to the US first I don't know that we really would have been able to go to war with Germany, it would have been political suicide for Roosevelt. Luckily Germany turned back to capture Kiev and 300,000 Russian soldiers. And don't forget, Stalin had purged the Soviet Union of many of it best scientist and generals, whether anyone would have seen the weakness in the German attack or not is unknown, but whatever, Hitler lost, thank god, and we now can only ponder as to what would have happened if he had won.