Which would you choose

And Quebec City will be 400 years old in 2008. It was founded by the French explorer Samuel de Champlain. So the French as well have been here a very long time as well. Canada and the US were not seperate countries at that point but colonies of Europeans. Britain later controlled all of the eastern seaboard of North America from Georgia on up. It was during the American Revolution that Canada and the United States went their seperate ways. The British controlled Florida having traded Cuba to the Spanish for it in 1765, but it did not become a US possession until the 1820s and not a state until 1845.

North and South America owe their modern forms to the Spanish, the British, the French, and down in Brazil, the Portuguese. They've all been here for around 400 years or so.

Now I'll put in my own plug, Columbus was an Italian. :lol:

Now I'll put in my own plug, Columbus was an Italian.

Actually thats disputable (unless something has changed in the last 1-2 years) as I recall there is still a strong backing for him being Genoese (sp?) but there is a growing pile of evidence that he may have been Catalonian and Spanish.

MontyB said:
Now I'll put in my own plug, Columbus was an Italian.

Actually thats disputable (unless something has changed in the last 1-2 years) as I recall there is still a strong backing for him being Genoese (sp?) but there is a growing pile of evidence that he may have been Catalonian and Spanish.

You're just a determined little person aren't you? Your grudge against Charge must know no depths - and me by association. So be it.

http://muweb.millersville.edu/~columbus/columbus.html

Though biographical facts on Columbus vary from author to author, there is general agreement among most scholars that Cristoforo Colombo was born in Genoa between August 25 and October 31, 1451; that his father was Domenico Colombo, a wool weaver who was also involved in local politics; and that his mother was Suzanna Fontanarossa, daughter of a wool weaver. The eldest of five children, Christopher would always remain closest to his brother Bartolomeo. The two brothers shared a lot in common; they studied cartography together, sold books, and planned for a trip to the west; and they traveled to the New World together. Another brother, Giovanni Pellegrino, died young; his sister, Bianchinetta, married a cheesemonger. His youngest brother Giacomo was seventeen years his junior. The entire family moved to Savona, west of Genoa, in 1470.

Back