Would China go to war for N.Korea?

Brotchador

In the event of war between the north and south korea, would china again risk going against another coalition lead by the U.S.?

Where do you think ASEAN side with?

IMHO, China would not risk going to war at this stage or in the next 5-10 years, they know that they still could not match American power. and besides, what is there to gain in depending Kim? :roll:

true, i wouldnt trust giving him the nuke tech, its like hitler in control of USA..

if south korea invades north korea withouth the us army, china would welcome that

if south korea invades with the help of the good ol us army, then china will definetly invade because thats just a sick feeling for china to have the us army tagging along in an asian incident...

either way goes, chinas the winner

South Korea will never invade, North Korea will have to light the fire.

As for the question posed..... I really don't know. China is nationalist first, not communist. I'm not so certain China would risk a rise in power for it's pathetic neighbor. Perhaps if North Korea is on the verge of absolute destruction, then maybe.

2ndShockarmy said:
true, i wouldnt trust giving him the nuke tech, its like hitler in control of USA..

if south korea invades north korea withouth the us army, china would welcome that

if south korea invades with the help of the good ol us army, then china will definetly invade because thats just a sick feeling for china to have the us army tagging along in an asian incident...

either way goes, chinas the winner
What if it were a 3 way cooperative effort between SK, PRC and USA?

I can probably guess -- everybody in that list would never ever trust somebody else involved. The USA and China would not likely trust each other and South Korea would want Chinese troops anywhere near their borders, period.

So we end up with an impossible situation -- Only by involving all three would we likely be able to work something out. South Korea doesn't trust China. The USA doesn't trust China either. China is either too arrogant or too paranoid to allow the USA to be involved -- and that's an absolute prerequisite before SK gets involved (so the USA is there to keep China from springing any unpleasant surprises in the scenario) ...

So there's only one thing left. China will have to do it themselves or its never going to happen. And if that did happen ... you're looking at a whole lotta nervousness in Seoul until the PLA withdraws. If nothing ever happens, that stupid maniac will probably set off a nuclear war sometime in the future....

Messy, no?

If China entered the war?
And if ASEAN got involved (though I doubt it) it would be against China. They're battling over the rights for the Spratleys and also control of the South China sea.

Brotchador said:
In the event of war between the north and south korea, would china again risk going against another coalition lead by the U.S.?

Where do you think ASEAN side with?

IMHO, China would not risk going to war at this stage or in the next 5-10 years, they know that they still could not match American power. and besides, what is there to gain in depending Kim? :roll:

IMHO, China would not risk going to war at this stage or in the next 5-10 years, they know that they still could not match American power. and besides, what is there to gain in depending Kim?

From what the Conservative Republicans stress upon, the US military is too far stretched to other nations for deployment. If war breaks out between S. Korea and N. Korea, China is more likely to take the upper hand because of fresh and determined troops, lessons learned from the Korean War, acquisition of new weapons, and also numeric superiority.

However, I doubt that the fourth Generation Chinese Leadership is anxious to pour troops into the Korean Peninsula. Knowing that Kim is driving the Bush Administration nuts, Mr. Hu wisely chose to put pressure on Kim to back down and prevent a war that can seriously damage China's economic growth.

My voice

Awesome question, by the way. I am currently writing a military series of novels, that involves China, both North and South Korea, as well as the U.S. There are a few other countries involved, but I'll leave them out, to keep up the suspense, lol.

I think that if war were to break out between the North and the South, China would get involved, if it felt it had something to gain. I don't think it would willingly enter into the contest, knowing full well that the U.S. will be helping out the South, at least at some point. Numeric superiority or not, we've proven time and again that we've got the stuff to get the job done, or at least we did 60 years ago.

Strategically, what does China have to gain from entering into the war, other than keeping the U.S. away from it's boarders?

Ben

playstation60, I really hope one day I can buy a book from your novels in shops :D

My 2 cents:

1. Keep in mind, although most Chinese don't agree how Kim rules his country, but still China is N.Korea's Ally.

2. First I don't think S.Korea will invade North.

3. Second N.Korea will definitely NOT invade S.Korea, since ALL N.Koreans know S.Korea is far far better in all aspects, they will have NO single chance to win the war, NO SINGLE chance, I repeat, therefore Kim and his commanders will not act crazy at all, hence no war.

4. Now, what left is: what kind of event can trigger a war in Korea penisula? I think only IF USA starts to attack N.K's nuclear facilities. In case US strikes, what will N.Korea react? They will ONLY bomb Seoul, that's ALL, they will not cross their troops into S.Korea, since see point (3), they have NO single chance to win so they will not go All Out War.

5. After above 4 points, we can conclude that in Korea there will not a significant war at all, hence Chinese troops will NOT be involved in it at all, simply because it is not necessary, since USA and S.Korea will not invade N.Korea at all.

what if

What if South Korea were to take things into their own hands, and decide to take care of the nuclear issue in North Korea themselves? Or act at the behest of the U.S., or what it believes to be the U.S.'s wishes?

I agree that the North Koreans would probably have to pull out the perverbially rabbit out of their hat to win a war against the south, but for reasons for the to invade, what about the demoralizing conditions existing in the North. Look at how Hilter was able to convince drawing up arms and invading the surrounding countries before WWII.

Ben

P.S. Thanks for that about the books. I am eager to get things rolling with them myself. Lots of research still to go through.

1. S.Korea will NEVER take things into their own hands to deal with N.K.'s nuke thing or any other thing. S.Korea will only be happy if they got NOTHING to do with North. Please ask 13th Redneck, this dude is from S.Korea, he will tell you what S.Koreans thing about the whole issue.

2. N.Korea can not be compared with Nazi Germany. Kim does not have got the stuff what Hitler got in his mind. Btw, now This Day is the day of 21th century, cannot be compared with the days of 70 years ago. N.Korea does not have the abilitiy to wage a Total War, we should never OVER-estimate NK. But of course, we should not underestimate them either, since it will be extremely hard to invade N.Korea, they are good in defence, and they got the guts to fight to death.

I think both South korea and North korea would be left alone, too big a risk for china to help N.korea against USA, same is true the other way round for USA to help S.korea against china (If china gets involved) or even if china isn't involved USA might not wanna risk facing North Korean nukes ( if they got any ;) ?!?)

Re: My voice

Awesome question, by the way. I am currently writing a military series of novels, that involves China, both North and South Korea, as well as the U.S. There are a few other countries involved, but I'll leave them out, to keep up the suspense, lol.

I think that if war were to break out between the North and the South, China would get involved, if it felt it had something to gain. I don't think it would willingly enter into the contest, knowing full well that the U.S. will be helping out the South, at least at some point. Numeric superiority or not, we've proven time and again that we've got the stuff to get the job done, or at least we did 60 years ago.

Strategically, what does China have to gain from entering into the war, other than keeping the U.S. away from it's boarders?

what book is it? im kinda interested 8)

South Korea wouldn't attempt to Invade NK without some support if they ever did decided to do so. Most likly South Korea would only Invade if Invaded.

Dameon said:
South Korea wouldn't attempt to Invade NK without some support if they ever did decided to do so.

I'm Sorry, but I didn't quite get why you said that.The general notion is NK will one day invade SK.

Dameon said:
Most likly South Korea would only Invade if Invaded.

That sentence confuses me a bit lol.

Xion said:
Dameon said:
Dameon said:
Most likly South Korea would only Invade if Invaded.

That sentence confuses me a bit lol.

Hehe, that means: It is mostly likely that South Korea would only invade (North Korea) if it is invaded (by North Korea).

Now, this kind of speculation (essentially a US vs China thingy) really makes little sense, doens't it?

How does any of you here know for sure that the two are not conspiring for the famous New World Order?

Sure, some of you hate or despise China. But your presidents don't seem to mind cooperating with the evildoer behind all evildoers, do they? And you people of democrasy can do nothing about it, can't you? Your jobs are flying to China and the big ole India. You curse, you swear, and you bang your heads on the wall, it sill is going on, isn't it? That's why I'm thinking of the NWO conspirasy on your behalf. :lol:

This might sound a bit offtopic:
By confused I meant grammatically, you need to defend yourself first after you get invaded, then think about invading them lmao.

Oh, I see what you mean. It merely omitted the pushing back the North invasion part.

But logially, you don't really have to crush the invasion before you can launch an invasion of your own, which can very well serve to defeat the enemy's invasion (that they have to pull back to save their home).

What i think is this, Both the U.S. and China would only go to war for S.K and N.K. respectively if it in their best interest. But the bigger question would be this... "WHAT WOULD HAPPEN, IF LIKE THE GERMANY, THE NORTH AND SOUTH UNITE"? Would the U.S. and China let that happen? what becomes of the power balance in the Asia-Pacific region? would Japan enter the picture? there are too many questions that needs to be addressed if this Re-unification occurs.

I don't think Japan would care less if unification happened or not.
China would worry the most.
and the US would only be concerend because China's concerned.

Back