Worst Pieces of Crap That Have Ever Been Issued: 1. Rifles - Page 2

--

January 16th, 2006  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Infidel
M9.. 9mm pistol. Need to go back to the 45. More bang for you buck.
Most soldiers don't mind the M9....
January 16th, 2006  
5.56X45mm

Well, the worst ever issued weapon in my opinion was the French Chauchat. WORST PIECE OF HUMAN FILTH EVER ISSUED.
January 16th, 2006  
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCombat
I must agree with you Dean, in reguards to the Ross Rifle. It was a great design and idea but like you said if the rifle had one little speck of dirt the breech would not close and when fired it would fly open. At this point I can't really think of any other POC rifle.
Actually, I can, but I was wondering if anyone else would come up with them. Unfortunately very few people outside of Canada have heard of the Ross, so I can't blame them for not mentioning it. But when I went to the new Canadian War Museum in Ottawa, I met a kindly old gent who had used one, and he took the time to explain it all in great detail. He alone made it worth the visit. He actually liked it, but he did not think it was a good combat rifle, but a GREAT sporting one.

Dean.
--
January 17th, 2006  
5.56X45mm

I've sold two Ross Rifles. And I'm outside of Canada. It's a wondeful rifle for hunting and sports' shooting. A horrible combat rifle, but still it was just a beautiful design.
January 28th, 2006  
Dean

Well, we have 2 entries, the original Enfield SA 80 and the Ross rifle. I am going to pick the Ross as the winner of the PoC award, simply because the SA 80 did become a good rifle after Heckler and Kock got their hands on it. The Ross was simply abandoned in favour of the Lee-Enfield, which was not as accurate, but far safer.... for the firer. On to the next thread!!!

Dean.
February 24th, 2009  
alcockell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
Actually, I can, but I was wondering if anyone else would come up with them. Unfortunately very few people outside of Canada have heard of the Ross, so I can't blame them for not mentioning it. But when I went to the new Canadian War Museum in Ottawa, I met a kindly old gent who had used one, and he took the time to explain it all in great detail. He alone made it worth the visit. He actually liked it, but he did not think it was a good combat rifle, but a GREAT sporting one.

Dean.
Umm - wasn't the Ross issued to the Home Guard early on?
February 24th, 2009  
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
The Ross was simply abandoned in favour of the Lee-Enfield, which was not as accurate, but far safer.... for the firer.

Dean.
I think that the only possible reason the Ross was more accurate (which I doubt) than the Lee Enfield was the fact that it was so damned long you could poke the muzzle in the enemy's ear before squeezing off a shot.
February 24th, 2009  
Balkan-MiG

WORST WEAPON ISSUED IS AK-47

IT JAMS EASY AND IS NOT RELIABLE!!!

Haha joking

Im not sure, each weapon is unique and better than others in its own way.
February 24th, 2009  
BritinAfrica

I agree with the Ross and the SA80. I would however, like to add another one, the Lee Enfield Number5 Mk1 often called the Jungle Carbine.

The rifle had a wandering zero, heavy recoil and a muzzle flash that would blind the firer in low light conditions. The rifle was intended to become Britains new service rifle, over 251,000 examples were built. Production was started in 1944 and stopped in 1947. Both the Number 1 Mk3* and the Number 4 Mk2 were far better rifles then the Number 5 Mk1.

I believe Australia built their own version based on the Number 1 action, I dont know if their version fared any better.

I was interested on the comments regarding the M9 version of the Beretta.

South Africa built its own version called the Vektor Z88 as well as closed off slide versions called the SP1 (9mm Para) and the SP2 (40 S&W). I have had a number of all three pistols brought in for repair due to breakage of the locking block lugs when used with military or other “hot” ammunition.

I also heard or read somewhere that the US Army were replacing the slides of their M9's every 1000 rounds, another thing I read was that a company was producing closed slides for the M9's due to slide cracking. Any info on this?

In all honesty IMHO a better pistol would be either the CZ75, Browning Hi-Power or the good old 1911 45 ACP.
February 24th, 2009  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
I also heard or read somewhere that the US Army were replacing the slides of their M9's every 1000 rounds, another thing I read was that a company was producing closed slides for the M9's due to slide cracking. Any info on this?

In all honesty IMHO a better pistol would be either the CZ75, Browning Hi-Power or the good old 1911 45 ACP.
I do know that in the 80's on the Gen-1 M9's it was a problem. Mainly in training commands and I believe it was upwards of 10,000 rounds when the hair line cracks were becoming a problem.

Since then I haven't heard much about it and don't recall seeing any bulletins recently.