Worst Moment in Your Country's Millitary History

I would probably have to say the attack on Pearl Harbor and the attacks of the World Trade Centers and the Pentagon on September 11.

phoenix_aim54 said:
For Iran... 20 Sep 1980 when Iraq invaded our country and bombed many cities and started a ruthless war!

Do you have citizenship in 17 different countries or something?

Damien435 said:
phoenix_aim54 said:
For Iran... 20 Sep 1980 when Iraq invaded our country and bombed many cities and started a ruthless war!

What!?

I don't get it!

But I am an Iranian by birth and a citizen of Iran and a resident of Canada... So what?!

phoenix_aim54 said:
Damien435 said:
phoenix_aim54 said:

What!?

I don't get it!

But I am an Iranian by birth and a citizen of Iran and a resident of Canada... So what?!

For some reason I thought you had lived in China and the UK before also....

Even if you were right, it doesn't mean I have had 17 different citizenships though

But I am in process of getting my Canadian citizenship!

two words.... PEARL HARBOR

:m16shoot: :biggun:

If someone would have actually tried talking to the planes that they found on the radar then MAYBE just MAYBE could we have at least had some Anit-Aircraft Guns waiting to shoot those hobos out of the sky....

MoRtArSnCaLiBeRs

Coming from a not-so-militant country we had our fair share of "black page" massacres. But if I stick to emberassing moment:

We lost our fleet to the French cavalry when Napolean invaded. We let the ships get stuck in the ice of the "Zuiderzee" and the French just rode their horses over the ice, surrounded the lot and pretty soon it was clear that the Dutch were caught with their pants down.....

If haven't heard of any other navy loosing to mounted cavalry!

After Gallipoli, I would nominate for Australia, the Eureka stockade battle in 1854 near Ballarat, between armed miners (mix of immigrants and Australians) who declared themselves independent and hoisted their own flag and were fired on and defeated by a British regiment. It is Australia's closest thing to a civil war. There were deaths, casualties and heroes on both sides.

It was just pearl hurbor and August15
In that time economy of japan depends on US.
Japan shouldn,t begin that war.
War that has been started for imagination.

The last helicopter leaving Saigon in 1975. First an only case of the United States suffering a clear and humiliating loss in any war. (There are cases that are debatable, but nobody in their right mind will argue that the USA won in Vietnam.)

Every other war effort was a victory or at minimum a draw by its end. Vietnam was the only absolute defeat of the USA.

The votes for Pearl Harbor, the Civil War and others are quite interesting, but I've got to say the final anticlimactic end of the Vietnam War Era for the same reason that many Chinese members choose the Opium War: Humiliation. Embarrassment. The simple fact that we never were able and never will be able to redeem ourselves from that defeat/failure.

Viet Nam.

The American Armed Forces fought well and defeated their enemy on the battlefield, but was defeated by their own people in the homeland - the politicians, the protestors, and the timid American people - and it exhibited a kind of weakness that still haunts this nation today.

Our enemies of today believe that America is a "paper tiger", and with good reason; as long as they continue to bleed us little by little, waging a war of atrition, a death by a thousand cuts, we will eventually cut and run like we did in Viet Nam, Beirut, and Somalia. Showing weakness only emboldens our current enemies, the Islamofascists only understand power, we must not back down!

Sadist

Im not saying your wrong, I agree with most of it. However your examples made me think of something.

Vietnam, Beirut, and Somalia.

Question: What do these 3 countries have in common?

Answer: All 3 were in the midst of a violent civil war in which the US made the mistake of sticking its nose into...and deeply regreted it later.

Speaks a powerful arguement about us minding our own beeswax...

mmarsh said:
Sadist

Im not saying your wrong, I agree with most of it. However your examples made me think of something.

Vietnam, Beirut, and Somalia.

Question: What do these 3 countries have in common?

Answer: All 3 were in the midst of a violent civil war in which the US made the mistake of sticking its nose into...and deeply regreted it later.

Speaks a powerful arguement about us minding our own beeswax...
I agree completely, unless we or our interests are in danger.

Back