Worst Moment in Your Country's Millitary History

The Vietnam War. An unproven 'domino theory' and a Tonkin Gulf incident which probably started by a small group of freelancing arsonists--which were both the contexts for the war itself, highest cases of rape and other civilian abuse, excessive napalm/air strikes while listening to a rock 'n roll track of Jimi Hendrix, quite possibly the darkest chapter of American military history.
Great, now I'm starting to sound like Walter Cronkite.

And most galling of all, Bonnie Prince Charlie wasn't even Scottish! I hate all this romantic nonsense that surrounds what was basically an Italian mercenary in it for himself and for his grandfather's legacy, that being the House of Stuart.

:eek:fftopic: , but at least you got Drambuie out of the whole mess...

Buzzcut, I think overal Vietnam war was a noble effort by Americans and the result that millions died once the communists took over S.Vietnam and Cambodia is evidence that we where fighting the good fight. However, I think we can all agree the strategy used was fatally flawed.

I would say that for my country the most stupid desicion made was not to stand up against the Soviet Union in 1939... I am Estonian and my country agreed to let soviet military bases be built here. There was alot of pressure as well but still... should have stood up, maybe we could have achieved what Finland achieved...

Basically you can add the whole 1900 to 1945 for Korea.
Countries had been fighting in Korea for this reason or for that reason and our government didn't do a single thing to make sure we kept up with them. Basically when the Japanese decided to take over in 1910, Korea posessed nothing that could drive them out or even cause them any headache.
- No effective government
- An Iron Age army.
Spelled the end of the monarchy.
The troops of China, Japan and Russia all fought in Korea during this time.

not that there is anything wrong with hendrix....
I love Jimi Hendrix, my dad has the old albums of The Jimi Hendrix Experience-- we pretty much listen to "Purple Haze" all day.
:rambo:

Buzzcut, I think overal Vietnam war was a noble effort by Americans and the result that millions died once the communists took over S.Vietnam and Cambodia is evidence that we where fighting the good fight. However, I think we can all agree the strategy used was fatally flawed.
In every way, I respect every countrymen that served in Vietnam despite how flawed the "noble cause" was. It was simply bad politicians giving bad orders to good soldiers. The rest of what I've said was simply Hollywood rhetoric. :oops:

Worst

I'd like to nominate (but won't) both the war of independence and the war of 1812 both for the blatent hypocrisy of declaring the rights to decide for ourselves and then invading Canada for the sake of conquest but the Spanish-American War is breathtaking in its imperialism.This from the country which trumpeted the Monroe Doctrine! The US-Mexican Land-Grab, I mean War, was not unexpected but Jeez, there is a world of difference between grabbin g Texas and grabbing the Philipines.

Just a couple of points there. Texas at the time of the Mexican American War was a Republic who had won it's independence in a Revolution. The Texas bone of Contention was that although Santa Ana had ceased claim to Texas north of the Nueces River, Antonio did not want the US offically recognizing Texas as an independent nation and definitely did not want them accepted into the Union as a State. General Santa Ana had every intention of reconquering Texas. He had only granted Texas Independence to save his own fuzzy butt at San Jacinto. So any land grab of Texas was that area South of the Nueces to the Rio Grande.

Other than that. Yes it was a orchestrated land grab of the Southwest and California.

Your choices Melkor are all political and have nothing to do with tactical or strategic blunders which is the topic of this thread.

Worst

Must stick to my guns. The topic does not specify blunders but the worst moment in one's country's military history. Even the most ardent critics of our current military ventures must concede that these are not imperialistic. While you can argue over the strategic and tactical merits of the Vietnamese or Korean Conflicts, these do not come close to being as unworthy of a great nation. Sorry, no disrespect meant to anyone.

Vietnam, but hold on while I think of a better one...

oh, forget about it. 'nam STANK.

There is an old song, with the saying "be the fisrt on your block to have yer kid come home in a box."

The topic does not specify blunders but the worst moment in one's country's military history.

My mistake. For some reason I thought I was in the other discussion. That's what I get for typing here and talking to the wife at the same time. :oops:

the bombing of darwin was a major blow to australias morale as a nation. its often thought that we are too far away from where everything happens to really have something happen on our doorstep, and well, it did
or gallipoli

Re: Worst

melkor the first said:
Must stick to my guns. The topic does not specify blunders but the worst moment in one's country's military history. Even the most ardent critics of our current military ventures must concede that these are not imperialistic. While you can argue over the strategic and tactical merits of the Vietnamese or Korean Conflicts, these do not come close to being as unworthy of a great nation. Sorry, no disrespect meant to anyone.

Tell ya what I'll Start a Mexican American War thread if you have any real interest in discussing it. And you can Start threads concerning the Spanish American War, Banana Wars, or anything else you wish. However Discuss it. Don't just throw out unqaulified rhetoric.

Back