Worst Moment in Your Country's Millitary History - Page 10

--

August 13th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
The United States

The First 6 months of WWII. From Pearl Harbour to Bataan. The Japanese war machine was unstoppable.
That's an interesting perspective. I think that the American populace at the time was too busy gearing up for war to really take full stock of the defeats like our current 24-hour news system forces us to now-a-days. But when you think about it, you are right, that was a huge blow to the country that for the next 50 years afterwards would think of itself as the biggest dog in the world. Amazing to think we could be defeated so totally for so long with victory seeming to be a far off concept.
August 29th, 2005  
hammerlock848

"It is not normal behavior for Americans to idolize mass murdering despots, to champion the cause of slavery, to abandon friends and allies, or to cut and run in the face of adversity. Why then did so many Americans engage in these types of activities during its “Vietnam” experience?"

I would have to disagree this statement. During the cold war the US supported many despots and looked the other way to mass murder and corruption. Vietnam was only one of many governments, others included cuba, most if not all of central america, many african nations the middle east. Only now does US policy seem to look at root causes and actually try to support democratic governments. If the US had done this in Vietnam it could had of a different outcome.
September 8th, 2005  
LeEnfield

The thing was back in those early days of WW2 no one ever considered the possibility of defeat, the only thing that concerned every one was to win this war and win it we would regardless of costs.
--
September 25th, 2005  
BangorRamsJROTC

I think for Canada it would have been Somalia and the disbandment of the Canadian Airborne Regiment
September 25th, 2005  
Springfield

I can't say what the very worst thing that has happend to the United States, but I know for a fact that Pearl Harbor was a very unforgettable day in our history and "it only awoke the sleeping giant". That was a very sad moment in history, but also, there is 9/11. That was a very tragic part in our history. It's what started the War on Terrorism. I think these two parts in our history were very sad and unforgettable.
September 25th, 2005  
Damien435

I am going to have to say our pulling out of Vietnam, even though that was not a military defeat the military was blamed and it was not until the Desert Storm that the military was able to "redeem" itself for its failure in Vietnam. The only problem with that is the military did not fail in Vietnam, the people back home let down the boys wearing the uniform. The media's irresponsible reporting gave the public an in-acurate portrayal of how the war was going. The Tet Offensive was a massive defeat for the Vietcong, they suffered 80% casualties in some areas and most gains they made were lost within hours, the longest holdouts lasting two weeks. This was the victory the Pentagon had hoped and worked for for so long, they had the Vietcong thrown off balance and running for the hills (literally) and the Army and Marines were not allowed to take the fight to the enemy.

Johnson's attempts to micro-manage the war and the public's apathy were what lost the war. The military was forced to fight with one hand tied behind their back and two feet in a bucket. They were thrown into a situation and told to make bricks without straw. Even though the military did not lose Vietnam, the people back home did, the military was still pinned with an "L." I guess in a way this would also be a victory for our democracy, in many countries when put into such a situation the military would have said "Screw you, this is your own damn fault, you brought this upon yourselves and now we will make you pay for it." and then overthrown the elected government. (Or in many situations, overthrown the current government that also took power through a coup)

Anyways, that is just my two cents, other possibilities would be right after the White House was burned down by the BRITISH, the Civil War (most notably before Gettysburg) and the first few months of WWII when it looked like the Japanese could push us out of the Pacific. (Well, east of Hawaii) Other then that we have not really known any military defeats, definitely nothing like those mentioned above. Obviously there are small things like the failed rescue of the Iranian hostages and other things of that sort, but nothing on a massive scale like losing a war or on the verge of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge 7
The firing on Ft. Sumter that kicked off the American Civil War. I can't think of any worse time for our nation though it did finally bring about a resolution to many things. Still, the idea of Americans fighting Americans is apalling.
Don't forget though that prior to the Civil War American's loyalty was to their state, not country, that would be one of the "resolution to many things" that you mentioned.
September 25th, 2005  
Charge 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge 7
The firing on Ft. Sumter that kicked off the American Civil War. I can't think of any worse time for our nation though it did finally bring about a resolution to many things. Still, the idea of Americans fighting Americans is apalling.
Don't forget though that prior to the Civil War American's loyalty was to their state, not country, that would be one of the "resolution to many things" that you mentioned.
Uh yeah, I'm well acquainted with the Civil War, what was before it, and what it resolved.
September 25th, 2005  
AlexKall

Sweden fighting to keep Skåne from the danes, they should have left it with the danes hehe
September 26th, 2005  
womble

for austrailia it would be Gallipoli.
But it was the start of our milliatrey so its isnt loed at as a thing that shouldnt have happened only somthing that was bad.
September 27th, 2005  
5.56X45mm

Four Words...

BILL CLINTON
JIMMY CARTER

'Nuff Said