WORST Military Small Arms of the 20th Century - Page 4

--

March 13th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Topic: hmmm

Quote:
Anyway, we still had grease guns in my unit in 1998. They were issued to mechanics...
1-LOL
2-WHAT THE HECK?! What branch are you in? Those things aare antiqes!
March 13th, 2004  
Redleg

I actually think some of our mechanics has grease guns now...
Saw a couple of them in the workshop last year..
March 14th, 2004  
Jamoni

I was in active duty U.S. Army. Thats why I remember them, cause it was so odd. There were about 10 of them in a little wooden rack, right by the officers berettas! I asked the armorer about them, and he said they were for soldiers who worked in cramped quarters, but that he'd never issued them.
--
April 2nd, 2004  
Gunner13

M3A1s were, and possibly still are, issued as part of the equipment set for recovery tracks in the US Army (that is, M578 and M88 series vehicles). They can be quite accurate out to 50-75 meters if you know what you are doing.
April 2nd, 2004  
Mark Conley

antique maybee they are...but they will still blow a nice 45 caliber hole through you. And they make nice christmas gifts...
April 2nd, 2004  
Gunner13

absolutely correct Mr. Conley! It is also worth pointing out that no weapon is obsolete in the hands of someone who determined to use it and it prepared to use it well. a .62 caliber ball from a flintlock musket can kill or wound you just as bad as a 5.56mm round from an M16A2 or a Galil SAR!
April 2nd, 2004  
SHERMAN

Topic: yes

yes a palestinian marksmen took out 7 IDF soldiers with a worn down M1 carabine, about a year ago....They couldent shoot back cause he was in a good position, they could not spot him....
April 7th, 2004  
MausTanker

I would rather have a tommy then a grease gun...

how would you rate a StG44??? my favorite gun of all time (for nationalistic reasons).
April 7th, 2004  
Gunner13

Personally, I would rate an STG44 very high indeed as it was the father of the assault rifle and very nearly perfect in its final form. If only OKW and the ordinance types had let the designers use the 7mm cartridge instead of the 7.92mm intermediate round. **SIGH**

BTW, we are supposed to be focusing on BAD weapons, not success stories - as fascinating as this discussion is. Does anyone have another nominee for WORST?
April 7th, 2004  
MausTanker

Probably the Italien Breda light Machine gun, that thing sucked.