Worst Duty station you've been to..

AmericanSweetheart

So where is the worst duty station you've ever been to and why you disliked them? Non-combat duty stations

I live in 29 palms Ca. Here is just a fun little fact: The Army sold the Marine Corps this base here in 29 Palms for a dollar because it was uninhabitable.

A substitute for Hell ...........

Fort Lost-in the Woods, Misery

(Fort Leonard Wood Missouri)
[Army Boot Camp - 1961]

Short of being in an Alabama swamp, I can't think of a worse place to be. (That includes the various hellholes I served in while in Vietnam.) If it were to fall off the face of the Earth, they could sell the result as a substitute for Hell.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I was 17 years old, never been away from home .. and they dropped me in this miserable old WWII camp (with it's old wooden buildings), where the weather went from an 80 degree summer day PT course to a sub-zero 10 mile march and camp out (all within a 24 hour period).

Of course, Rattle Snake Hill and it's 12 mile map reading and infiltration course was thrown in just for the hell of it .....
(I never had to use a topological map ever again).

I just don't know of a worse place to serve even one day, let alone an entire boot camp schedule.

Fort Lost-in the Woods, Misery

(Fort Leonard Wood Missouri)
[Army Boot Camp - 1961]

Short of being in an Alabama swamp, I can't think of a worse place to be. (That includes the various hellholes I served in while in Vietnam.) If it were to fall off the face of the Earth, they could sell the result as a substitute for Hell.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I was 17 years old, never been away from home .. and they dropped me in this miserable old WWII camp (with it's old wooden buildings), where the weather went from an 80 degree summer day PT course to a sub-zero 10 mile march and camp out (all within a 24 hour period).

Of course, Rattle Snake Hill and it's 12 mile map reading and infiltration course was thrown in just for the hell of it .....
(I never had to use a topological map ever again).

I just don't know of a worse place to serve even one day, let alone an entire boot camp schedule.

My older brother was there in 89-90. I thought he was just whining when he told me the horror stories!

BTW - the reason they called it lost in the woods, was because the nearest town was located miles from the front gate.

If that is in fact the case, then your friends are very very very strange and weird.

Only an S&M freak could like that place.

LOL well thats what I think about people who live here but then again people actually get out of the military and CHOOSE to live here in the 120 degree heat and sandstorms.

Diego Garcia.
Nice island, but very **** retentive rules.
Nice Brit club, but lots of unhappy Yanks there!

Diego Garcia.
Nice island, but very **** retentive rules.
Nice Brit club, but lots of unhappy Yanks there!
Boy can you say that again ... HOWEVER ...

IT IS AN ISLAND ISN'T IT???

Most of those small isolated islands ARE just a little strange.

well, being mandatory service of a small country.. only served one station... on a ship...

it's a ship that the US retired some 20 years ago, which should be enough to tell you it's state (and sadly, it's not even close to being the oldest ship in the ROCN arsenal, which would be the one my uncle... who is nearly 60 years older than me, served on... now THATs a peace of history.), suffice to say that a rat hole doesn't actually describe it's condition sufficently, more like a man hole where the rats and roachs are the real primary inhabitants and the humans are trying to ech out a place for themself within it.

Oh, and the air conditioner broke down in the summer i served there, perrrrfect, nothing like a hot tropic summer except to be stationed in a iron hull baked red hot by that tropic sun!

Worst Duty Station - Fort Polk, LA

Without a doubt, Fort Polk. Was there 89-91. Back then I was assigned to an Armor BN (3-70 Armor). Lived in DeRidder. But while I was on post, nothing to do there but drink :drunkb: or get a tattoo. Did both. Peason ridge training area was either dusty or muddy. Hot, humid, mosquitos big enough to carry off large animals. Ugh.

NAS Norfolk , virginia.

the facilities there when I was in were built before WW2, And the roaches were big enough to ride to work, My shop (SP38) was a coffin factory in WW2 and the hanger SP1 had a haunted tower, last time I went past there that was all gone and been replaced with new stuff, I hope its a better duty station now.

Hickam AFB ..... wait scratch that Hickam was actually nice cept that i was never really home to enjoy it, Altus AFB was my worst duty station when i was in the air force...... army..hmmmm wait Altus AFB still takes the cake for me.

Ft. Chill Jokelahoma... I went through OSUT there, then ended my last 3 years as an enlisted man there. Now, I report back there in 9 days...sigh...

Horrible thunderstorms in the spring and summer.
Hotter than hell in the summer.
Colder than hell in the winter.
More rattlesnakes than you can shake a leaf at.
Every swinging jerry there is a 13 series, so you have a bunch of deaf soldiers screaming at each other. Not to mention if you've ever been around SNCOs in the Field Artillery branch...there's just a very particular attitude they seem to have...and at Fort Sill ALL the SNCOs are 13 series!
Lawton is about the worst miltary town I have ever been in...THAT'S SAYING SOMETHING!

Last edited:
LMAO Ft Chill Jokelahome LMAO. I;d tell ya what we called Norfolk but I'd get banned from here for the words :)

So.........use your imagination...........Norfolk, Virginia

I consider my time at the US Army Sergeants Major Academy (Ft Bliss), where I was assigned as a lesson developer and instructor, as the worst in my 25 year career. Most Everyone there was of Senior Rank and the internal politics was un-godly! I was not real fond of El Paso either, had to drive too far to go fishing.

Back