Worst Duty station you've been to..

Without a doubt, Fort Polk. Was there 89-91. Back then I was assigned to an Armor BN (3-70 Armor). Lived in DeRidder. But while I was on post, nothing to do there but drink :drunkb: or get a tattoo. Did both. Peason ridge training area was either dusty or muddy. Hot, humid, mosquitos big enough to carry off large animals. Ugh.

I went to Basic/AIT at Ft. Polk at the end of 1975/beginning of 1976. I thought Polk was funny because of all the people talking about the "swamps" there which I thought were good sized mud puddles. I grew up in the Atchafalaya Basin swamps of south Louisiana, and when I got to Ft. Polk my skin started drying out so bad it was bleeding.:drink:

Fort Monmouth New Jersey .....

Hey guys .....
Have any of you ever served on a post during the winter and had snowdrifts in your room because the window seals were non-existent or had ice down the walls under a window because the old fashioned steam heat was only warm enough to turn the snow into frozen water and ice when the snow melted??? What was even worse, was the fact that the insulation was so old, that it had lost it's ability to insulate. It got so bad, that the water in the heaters got cold enough that it ended up freezing also - which brought out the plumbers with their electric welding machines that were used to melt the ice by running a current through the steam pipes.

I had almost forgotten about it (not that I lived in the old barracks), but I had friends that did .. and I saw the drifts and the ice when I'd visit them. It was ALWAYS freezing in their rooms and there was not a place where it was warm (including the washrooms/johns).

It was at Fort Monmouth New Jersey ... part of the school barracks. They were old WWII barracks that were finally bulldozed after a new cinder block barracks was built.

I went to Basic/AIT at Ft. Polk at the end of 1975/beginning of 1976. I thought Polk was funny because of all the people talking about the "swamps" there which I thought were good sized mud puddles. I grew up in the Atchafalaya Basin swamps of south Louisiana, and when I got to Ft. Polk my skin started drying out so bad it was bleeding.:drink:

I grew up in louisiana to, i loved it there lol

Back