Worst Current Issue Weapon(Rifle or Pistol)

doddsy2978 said:
USMC Johnny said:
Ever shot someone with a 9mm?? If the distance is great than 10meters(30ft) it takes more than one shot to knock someone down.

If Afghanistan I had to fire 3 shots at one guy, and I still didn't see him fall.(and I know you will be like "you missed him") I'm a pistol expert, I didn't miss. I hit him 3 times in the chest, but he didn't fall.

9mm is weak, but great for amount of ammo in the clip.

Yep! Heard this about the old Sterling Sub-machinegun as issued to the British forces previously - "had a job stopping a rabbit" is what I was told - its calibre? 9mm - the same round as used in the Browning 9 Milly pistol also issued to the Brit Forces.

Part of the problem with the 9mm is the style of ammo we have to use, FMJ. If the use of a hollow point or other high transfer designed bullet. THe same can be said about the 5.56mm, it has a tendency to have non-stopping hits, use a ballistic tip bullet in the 5.56 and that would change, but it is against the Geneva Conventions which dictate FMJ or solid only.

Re: Don't use a dam beretta

Samurai_Zero said:
In Iraq they shouldn't use beretta, its a disgrace for a soldier, what you really need in is a desert eagle .50 cal or at least a .44 . 3 shots from a beretta couldn't bring an idiot down,but 3 shot from either of desert eagles can. Also at least one man in a squad should have a backpack-fed
Xm-314 minigun, it takes a while to fire but his squad mates can defend him while it starts to fire and then he'll unleash h**l. :rambo:

Mini-Guns cannot be carried by a soldier or Marine, it is impossible, recoil from the gun is over 270 lbs when firing and very impractical when a 240 or 60 will do just fine. Leave the minis to the helos.

A 9mm at a range of 30 feet is enough to drop a man 9 times out of ten. The second shot has 99/100 to stop him...What more do you need? I dont think officers in combat areas should carry a 9mm or 0.45. They should be carrying the M4.

Well said.
Also the fact that Special Ops teams who raid buildings almost unanimously carry the MP-5. Shootouts happen at very short ranges so what you really want is a highly controllable weapon that won't kick around everywhere that has a good rate of fire. Also preferrable that the bullet not sail through the guy because then it could hit hostages.
Remember guys. Everyone seems to forget this so often but bigger bullet does NOT mean a better weapon. last night I was watching a show about Israeli guns and a special ops guy says that when the fight goes ugly, a 7.62mm bullet becomes hard to manage (referring to the FAL) and in his modified Galil, he stuck with the 5.56mm.

This isn't off topic by the way!!!
Because you can't say the MP-5 is a crap weapon because it's 9mm and you can't say the M-16 is crap because it's 5.56mm.

SHERMAN said:
A 9mm at a range of 30 feet is enough to drop a man 9 times out of ten. The second shot has 99/100 to stop him...What more do you need? I dont think officers in combat areas should carry a 9mm or 0.45. They should be carrying the M4.

special ops guy says that when the fight goes ugly, a 7.62mm bullet becomes hard to manage (referring to the FAL) and in his modified Galil, he stuck with the 5.56mm.

That guy looks like a wierdo....With the beard and stuff...And his strange english...."Yes, this gun, also good one. Very good one" :D :lol: :D

Sorry,could not help my self...

They should try using the berretta m93R instead of the m9, these pistol have 20rd mags with semiauto or 3-shot burst fire, come with a folding foreward grip and a ROF of 1100rpm on burst fire. This might be useful in quickly killing someone before they kill you with the quick burst fire and the foreward grip that makes accuracy and recoil easier to control.

You also have to think about cost. I think for the marginal advantage it gives, it's not worth the cost.
That's off topic though.
THe M-9 I hear isn't a very popular handgun because of reliability issues.

Maybe ur rite but they should dump the berreta What the US should do is to stick back to the M1911, It is known for its reliability, serviceability, simplicity in the world, but just because of the small 8,7 rounds in the magazine doesn't mean u should dump it, instead improve the magazine, Im sure well be able to squeeze in more rounds to make it better with a new magazine.Hey with a .45ACP and a velocity good enough to drop someone but low enough not to go through and hit a friendly, M1911 was good, berreta is $H!#. Why not use the M1911 if the maker of the M1911 made some of the M16s we use.

the_13th_redneck said:
The USMC uses a modified 1911 doesn't it?

It is available for certain units.

As for the 9 to 45 issue, the muzzle energy is close to the same with both rounds, the issue with the 9 was penetration, not energy. The 0.377" bullet penetrates more than the 0.45" bullet. It comes down to the transfer of that energy, what I stated before. You will transfer more energy to the target with the larger crosssection, you get the same energy transfer and lower penetration with a JHP since the bullet expands.

xer0cool says that The Korean Army K1 and K2 are the worst current issue weapons,but he should of thought of this: K1 and K2 are suppose to replace the m16s are still being used. If it was a piece of crap, then how come the koreans have them instead of the m16, its not the cost because
the korean army uses a lot of m4a1s which cost quite an amount today. The K1 and K2 are made after the same rotating bolt system of the Armalite ar-18, just like the G36 and the the experimental Xm8 (m8 if adopted). The K1 and K2 have been tested to fire 16,000 without clean or lubrcation, the xm8 and ks have a similar roating bolt system that cause it to jam much less frequently than the m-16. The m-16 has a big flaw in the bolt carrier system that makes carbon residue in the back of the chamber when it loads another round after firing which is why the guns jams so frikkin much. Xero was was rite about the the rattle but the K1a1 and k2a1 were developed to take care of that. It may be what Xero calls two stamped steel halves seam-welded together, but it is guarenteed to jam less frequently than the m-16.

Whoever said the K-1 and K-2 rifles are crap is severely mistaken.
The K-2 is an excellent rifle and the K-1 is the carbine version of it.
Daewoo earned a lot of experience making M-16s and became very good at making those rifles. South Korea felt the need to upgrade rifles and the K-2 was born. As with practically every single rifle that has been put to service, there were initial issues but they got ironed out.
Soldiers say that the K-2 seems to lose a superficial amount of accuracy when fired, but that is actually a positive upon impact as the bullet's chances of tumbling are increased dramatically. This has the effect of creating massive exit wounds and you don't get cases of "bullets gliding through the target" as many M-16 users seem to complain about.

The .45 M1911A1 is currently issued to MEU-SOC Units and is fine tuned in Quantico Va by the same guys that put together the USMC marksmanship teams weapons. They are currently looking at Kimber Custom II's modified for MEU -SOC.

btw: Hulk, was kiddin bout the ****. Yer right their more than **** :lol:

The M9 pistol is horrible...I have fired many different 9mm and 45 cal pistols in both competition, combat qualification ranges, and standard military qualification ranges. The M9 gets really dirty really quickly, it jams and stovepipes quite a bit. If we were to stay with the 9mm, we should take a lesson from a HUGE number of police departments and go with the GLOCK 9mm or 10mm.

The 1911 is outstanding, I own or have owned an A1, Colt commander, a taurus, and a springfield arms. The action is tight and does well even when extraordinarily dirty.

I did shoot a German 9mm in 1996 that really felt light and flimsy...but I don't know what it was called.

Worst : M9 Beretta why the hell won't the U.S just use the damn american made trusted Colt's.
L85 looks like it will fall apart if you touch it

Best : Colt 1911
Colt M4A1 Colt makes quality products

Chemo66 said:
The M9 pistol is horrible...I have fired many different 9mm and 45 cal pistols in both competition, combat qualification ranges, and standard military qualification ranges. The M9 gets really dirty really quickly, it jams and stovepipes quite a bit. If we were to stay with the 9mm, we should take a lesson from a HUGE number of police departments and go with the GLOCK 9mm or 10mm.

The 1911 is outstanding, I own or have owned an A1, Colt commander, a taurus, and a springfield arms. The action is tight and does well even when extraordinarily dirty.

I did shoot a German 9mm in 1996 that really felt light and flimsy...but I don't know what it was called.

I've had the same problems with military issue M9's. IMO it's due to over use and lack of 2nd and 3rd echelon maintaince. I carried a Berretta 92FS as a duty weapon qualified 4 times a year plus odd target practice with minimal malfunctions. Same with the 96FS in .40 cal I carry now.It all boils down to PM.
I'm not a big fan of the Glock simply due to it's propensity for negiligent discharges.Nor Iam I a Fan of 10mm. It seems to over penetrate in a good deal of the LE shootings and is exteremly hard on the weapon itself.

M-16/M-4

Theres nothing wrong with the M16 or the M4 i think if you take care of it right it will take care of you as for the M14 it is to heavy and when you shoot it on auto its hard to keep aiming.

I hear a lot of people compalining about the M16 and M4. The reasont hey have 55.6mm is becasue its NATO's standard round. The M16A4 and the M4A1 are accurate, good, and keep the crap off your back. they've been around 40 years (1964-2005).

AR-15
CAR-15
M16
M16A1
M16A2
M16A2 Carbine
M4
M4A1
M16A3
M16A4
SAR-16 RIS
XM-117 Commando

AK's heavy kick back with the 7.62mm and they are less accurate after the first round. Same with the M14 when it was auto then it became a USMC spotters weapon for close up.

Best gun in service, M249 and the M16A4.

I have no clue why our aircraft are 2 or 3 generations more advanced than our adversaries yet our infantry who do all the dying are still armed with outdated 60 year old weapons.

I have no clue why our aircraft are 2 or 3 generations more advanced than our adversaries yet our infantry who do all the dying are still armed with outdated 50 year old relics.

Back