Worst Current Issue Weapon(Rifle or Pistol)

well id have to say the best wepon is the c7-a1 is one of the best because its met for cold and warm climates and its got a few things the m-16 dosent

C7A1 is essentially an M16A2 w/ full auto and flattop receiver w/ elcan. Not all that different.

I've used both myself, and I am hard-pressed to find major apparent differences between the C7/M16.

Re: Worst Rifle

USMC Johnny said:
In my opionion(being a Marine, which we pride ourselfs on long distance shooting)

The M-16A2(.223 Cal Rifle) is the worst gun issued to the military, and the M4 is a close second(.223 sucks!)

M-16
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/...and just even occationally clean your weapon.

Yeah it's called fraternization and it violates the UCMJ.ooooopsey.

Automatic fire is great for machine guns and SAW's you have a weapon made for sustained fire.And as was mentioned 4 to 6 round bursts are what is taught.
For the basic rifleman semi is the best bet.Sherman in the Corps you aim every round. I also started out humpin an M16A1 never fired it on auto M16A2 never fired it on burst.The mission of the rifleman is to make dead bad guys you do that better with aimmed fire.

Don't use a dam beretta

In Iraq they shouldn't use beretta, its a disgrace for a soldier, what you really need in is a desert eagle .50 cal or at least a .44 . 3 shots from a beretta couldn't bring an idiot down,but 3 shot from either of desert eagles can. Also at least one man in a squad should have a backpack-fed
Xm-314 minigun, it takes a while to fire but his squad mates can defend him while it starts to fire and then he'll unleash hell. :rambo:

Remember guys, bigger bullet doesn't neccessarily mean absolutely better performance in all areas, nor does it mean the gun that fires it is better. But what it definately means is that it's going to be very heavy for you.
While the .308 is bigger, the .223 flies faster. And if you know anything about physics... The .308 is better for long ranges, but we all know most firefights happen at distances under 200m. For that you want something light and easy to handle. And when you need the extra punch, you have the M203.

Re: L85

JEA said:
The SA80 A1 family of weapons, of whish the L85 is one variant (there's also a Light Support Weapon variant and a new carbine version), was a quite bad rifle. I say quite bad because it was blown out of proportion by the press wanting to take a dig at our government. It is an accurate rifle, especially with the SUSAT optical sight. I've never heard of one falling apart when fired, but the problem with the magazine falling off was rectified very early on. However, it was very unreliable. This was mainly because it required a high level of maintenance, which was just unpractical on exercise never mind operations.

There was also a problem with the feed of blank ammunition, due to the fact that the blanks we use have a crimped tip. This coupled with the fact that the rifle required even more maintenance when firing blanks (they throw out a lot more carbon than ball), lead to the troops having little faith in it. And rightly so.

The SA80 A2 is the new version which has undergone extensive modification. It is now an extremely reliable weapon. The initial tests in Oman, Norway, Belize and UK put it among the best assault rifles as far as reliability goes. Once the stats of how it performed in Iraq filter through the army and eventually to the public, I believe it will become a very highly regarded weapon. The problem with the feed of blank ammunition has also been rectified with a new magazine specifically for blank rounds, which will give British soldiers confidence in the weapon.

Hear! Hear!

USMC Johnny said:
Ever shot someone with a 9mm?? If the distance is great than 10meters(30ft) it takes more than one shot to knock someone down.

If Afghanistan I had to fire 3 shots at one guy, and I still didn't see him fall.(and I know you will be like "you missed him") I'm a pistol expert, I didn't miss. I hit him 3 times in the chest, but he didn't fall.

9mm is weak, but great for amount of ammo in the clip.

Yep! Heard this about the old Sterling Sub-machinegun as issued to the British forces previously - "had a job stopping a rabbit" is what I was told - its calibre? 9mm - the same round as used in the Browning 9 Milly pistol also issued to the Brit Forces.

c/LtCdr said:
5.56 is fine, as long as its military issue ammo...cant hit jack with cheap civilian ammunition. The burst doesnt give you the opportunity to aim the second two shots, with full auto you can aim as you fire. Yes, it wastes ammo, but as long as I don't have to pay for it... :rambo: :D :rambo:

Blimey! The British Army are taught 'ammunition conservation', in other words, use as few rounds as is required to do the job. Are Americans not taught the same? Is this coz we are a poor nation nowadays? :D :D :D

No the Americans are just specially spoiled lol

doddsy2978 said:
Blimey! The British Army are taught 'ammunition conservation', in other words, use as few rounds as is required to do the job. Are Americans not taught the same? Is this coz we are a poor nation nowadays? :D :D :D

03USMC said:
Berreta Desert Eagle in .50 or .44 mag? Kids are we watchin to many action movies?

My thought exactly. They think just because it's got a bigger bullet or more powerful bullet it's neccessarilly better.
It's just not the case!!!!!!
It's about as retarded as loading your ship of the line with so much cannon, ammunition and boarding party that you can't even fire off one row of the cannons or else the ship would flip. Sure it looks bloody impressive on the specifications with your ship out-everythinging everything out there except in speed but it becomes impractical.
Most engagements happen under 200m. If the performance of the 5.56mm is pretty much equal with the 7.62mm at these ranges but it actually even has better penetrating power, then why go for 7.62mm which is just plain heavier to lug around? Get the 5.56mm. How often are you expected to make a shot at 800m?
THINK guys!
And don't tell me to "work out and get stronger" because then you've obviously never lugged around a heavy load at 110 degrees farenheit through a virtual steam bath. Running in that sort of weather with NOTHING but light clothes is hard enough.

Roger that 13th. While we are at it lets address (again) automatic / burst fire.
You need to remember that while auto fire looks really cool in the movies. In real life ya got what you humped in. Your basic combat load out. Run out ooops.

I can't speak for the U.S. Army but the USMC teaches aimmed fire. Really their kinda **** about it. ;) The whole Rifleman thing.

Yeah the automatic fire has been kept by some countries only when the fighting gets ridiculously close (i.e. inside trenches, perhaps also buildings and the sort.)
Basically at that point, the assault rifles are used in a role that was traditionally left to submachine guns. Assault rifles with their more controllable (compared to the heavy rifle bullets!) ammunition can do the work of submachine guns and rifles.... with pretty good results.
But in a shoot out, yeah, you want to aim. That goes without question. Not to mention if you have it on full auto and you don't aim and the first round doesn't it, chances are neither will the rest of the bullets you fired off. In which case you just waste ammo and get shot and die.

03USMC said:
I can't speak for the U.S. Army but the USMC teaches aimmed fire. Really their kinda **** about it. ;) The whole Rifleman thing.

Kind of ****, that is truly an understatement....and if I get into a trench, the grenade goes in first and a nice flechlette round in the 203.

In Iraq they shouldn't use beretta, its a disgrace for a soldier, what you really need in is a desert eagle .50 cal or at least a .44 . 3 shots from a beretta couldn't bring an idiot down,but 3 shot from either of desert eagles can. Also at least one man in a squad should have a backpack-fed
Xm-314 minigun, it takes a while to fire but his squad mates can defend him while it starts to fire and then he'll unleash h**l.

You're joking right? Desert Eagle? Xm-314?

You may want to read this: http://world.guns.ru/machine/minigun-e.htm especially the hollywood vs. common sense section.

“The best reason for carrying a handgun is so you can fight your way back to the rifle that you should have had in the first place.”- John Farnam

That means that your handgun should be for one, easy to reach, reliable, quick, etc. The Desert Eagle is a huge gun holding 7+1 (.50AE) definitly not fit as a handgun.

Back